Element vs. Rav4

What a dilemma. I like the features and look of the Element. On the other hand the bigger engine and better gas mileage of the Rav4 are appealing. The Rav4 also has some features the element does not have that I like i.e. telescoping steering wheel and adjustable driver's seat.

The problem with the Rav4 is it just looks so plain vanilla. That and the fact my 75 year old aunt bought one keeps me on the fence.

Reply to
grinder

She traded it in on a Camry.

Reply to
grinder

Put a mob hit on your aunt, and climb down from the fence and take her RAV4.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

FJ Cruiser.

Reply to
Steve, or not

No more 4wd or awd vehicles for me thank you. Too expensive to maintain for the return.

Reply to
grinder

The basic model is a 4X2:

Tom -- Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

I had to go to three dealer before I found a 4x2. Why 4x4 is so popular I havn't a clue, and I bet the people that buy 4x4s rarely take them off road.

Reply to
Phisherman

They do not by 4x4 to go off road nor is it really made for that. It is for those magic snowstorms and such that they feel they must have it. The need for it for this is kinda over stated too.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Does it snow where you live or near enough for weekend ski trips, do any of these folks tow boats?

4WD is fantastic in snow or on boat ramps.

Drive an AWD car in the rain and you'll see why they can be so popular as well. My Subaru was simply on rails, regardless of rain, snow, or dry pavement.

On the other hand, some folks are simply poseurs. I can't figure out why some folks buy 4WD pickups and SUV's and install ultra low profile, shaved tires.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I'd take mine offroad in a heartbeat. Well, not one heartbeat, I'd consider the paint for a few heartbeats, then go offroad.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Look and the percentage of time you drive in the snow (realistic snow not

1-3" for a couple of days at a time), or pulling a boat out of the water. 4WD is just not worth the extra costs in repairs and maintenance in my opinion.
Reply to
grinder

And do what?

I have a 4runner and have used 4wd twice in 16 years. Once after a blizzard in Lake Tahoe and once getting through highwater after a storm. Yet I could have easily done without it both times.

But replacing grease boots and packing wheel bearings on the front end has run me $798 this year alone. For that price I could have stayed another 4 days in Tahoe waiting for the snow to melt.

Reply to
grinder

Explore the great outdoors.

I repack my own bearings, so I stay in Tahoe for four days anyway.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

By driving off road? That's kind of like Chaney calling what he does "hunting."

Reply to
grinder

No, running over school kids is akin to offroading as what Cheney does when he is hunting.

I am an avid offroad driver. One of the few, I know. Driving offroad gets me closer to the stuff I want to see when I get out of the car.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

As long as the school kid's wearing a blue dress and the wife stays out of the oval office. Oops, that was the former administration...

Reply to
TOM

I shudder to think what you are doing to yourself when you visualize that scenario.

Reply to
grinder