Emergency Brake Lever on Tacoma won't stay retracted?

Hey everyone, I've got a 2000 Tacoma, and lately my emergency brake lever won't stay retracted. When I release the emergency brake and push in the lever it comes back out a little, like a centimeter. I don't think this can cause any braking, but it makes the "emergency brake" light in the dash go on and the red light is annoying. For awhile I could carefully feel for a spot with the lever that has just enough friction to hold it in but now it always pops back out the 1 cm.

Anyone seen this problem. I'm going to go take a look under the dash tomorrow to see what is going on under there.

Any advice on the subject with someone with experience in Tacoma emergency brake levers would be grateful.

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
jeff

You've got slack in your cable. I don't think there is any adjustment under the dash but check anyway. More likely you will need to adjust it down under the bed, just before the gas take. Get underneath there, look up and you will see the brake cable attached to a arm which pulls another rod or cable at the other end. It usually has like a coil spring on the axel it twists about. You will see what I mean when you look at it. Have some set and release it while your under there to see how it works. There should be a cable adjustment down there you will see. And make sure the arm is retracting all the way back.

-PM

Reply to
Patrick Moore

Yes it is under the bed. It is a pain in the ass but not too difficult. About every 25,000 miles I seem to have to do mine. It's a tensioning adjustment that takes two 12 mm (I think) wrenches. No biggie. Just be sure you tighten it the right way. Pull on the cable first (under the truck) so you get an idea which way to adjust the bolts

: > Anyone seen this problem. I'm going to go take a look under the dash : > tomorrow to see what is going on under there. : >

: > Any advice on the subject with someone with experience in Tacoma emergency : > brake levers would be grateful. : >

: > Thanks, Jeff : : You've got slack in your cable. I don't think there is any adjustment : under the dash but check anyway. More likely you will need to adjust : it down under the bed, just before the gas take. Get underneath there, : look up and you will see the brake cable attached to a arm which pulls : another rod or cable at the other end. It usually has like a coil : spring on the axel it twists about. You will see what I mean when you : look at it. Have some set and release it while your under there to see : how it works. There should be a cable adjustment down there you will : see. And make sure the arm is retracting all the way back. : : -PM

Reply to
Colon Blow