Enabling the 4Runner factory alarm system

I just purchased an '04 4Runner SR5 without the anti-theft alarm system option. I decided to forgo the $400 factory alarm system to save money, figuring that I would purchase an after-market alarm for about $200. After reading the manual, though, it occurred to me that the only difference between the anti-theft system that came with my truck (keyless remote entry and a panic button on the remote that sounds the horn when pressed) and the factory system is that it doesn't sound the horn if the doors are opened without the key.

Is there a cheaper way to enable this feature than purchasing a third party alarm? For example, is it simply a matter of installing a fuse that they've omitted?

Thanks, Darryl R.

Reply to
DarrylR

Daryl. if you already have the keyless, you just need the alamr upgrade, its not nearly as much $$$. Price one from the dealer. Its not just a missing use.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

You can buy the OEM VIP RS3200 Plus for about $225 online (08586-3D870) -- try

or
or
also has the glass breakage feature. No wires have to be cut likeaftermarket.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Reply to
Fred

Wolfgang,

Thanks for the URLs. I'm going to try the process that "Fred" sent in his posting. It's specific to the Tacoma, but who knows, it may work on the

4Runner also. In case it doesn't, if I purchase the RS3200 Plus online, does it come with instructions that will enable someone like me (who's very handy around the house and familiar with vehicle wiring, but hasn't installed a car stereo in about 20 years) to install it?

Darryl R.

It also has the glass breakage feature. No wires have to be cut like> aftermarket.

Reply to
DarrylR

Darryl, I bought the RS3200 upgrade kit on eBay for $70. Here's a link to a current auction from that seller:

The only thing it does differently from the "free alarm" modification is give you the glass-break sensor and the flashing LED. Installation was simple; the hardest part was taking off the plastics to get to the wiring. It's as easy as unplugging one connector and plugging in another.

- Erik

Reply to
Erik Schneider

Depending which dealer you buy from - it may or may not have copy of instructions. Mine came from Jay Marks (TX) and they gave me a Fujitsu 10 FAX-Back number for install on my Camry. A 25 page FAX was the result. Very detailed but on the Camry you have to gut the whole dash and center console to install -- believe on the 4Rnr its only the passengers side. It was a 4-5 hour job. Ya might want to pull the instructions down before you buy. Its 310 327-9905 and it would be document #10032.

Did you try the FREE approach yet? Results?

(08586-3D870) --

Reply to
Wolfgang

Fred,

Thanks for the URL. I just went out and checked out the wiring under my dash and it looks nothing like the 03 Tacoma's. I only see one single-pin connector (with a red and black wire), and it isn't very accessible. I don't have a problem removing the lower dash to access the wire, but I'd like to be sure it's the correct wire. Has anyone successfully done this on a

4Runner?

Darryl R.

Reply to
DarrylR

Might I suggest looking at

search for RS3200on the site or look in the 4Runner section. There have been many postsabout the fact that the keyless entry is part of the alarm system and thatyou enable the whole alarm system by switching the connectors. Toyota shipsit with the whole system but they only enable the keyless entry. They turnaround and then charge you more for the alarm. All they do is switch someconnectors, install a glass breakage sensor and flashing LED. I know the work-around works for the Tundra. I have an 02 Tundra and it works.

Is there a cheaper way to enable this feature than purchasing a third party alarm? For example, is it simply a matter of installing a fuse that they've omitted?

Thanks, Darryl R.

Reply to
Ivan Lopez

Ivan,

I checked out the forums at

but they'veapparently moved the instructions to a section called "the Garage" that youhave to join (for an annual or lifetime membership fee) to access. I've sentthe moderator a message to make sure that the instructions that I need areindeed there before I shell out any $ for membership. Some of the postings surrounding the topic suggest that the wire in question (the one that you disconnect to enable it for free) is actually an 8 pin connector in the VIP RS3200 Plus. I downloaded the instruction manual for the RS3200 Plus and looked through it for a suitable connector to disconnect. However, the 8 pin connectors that are mentioned in the instructions are actually reconnected to the RS3200 unit during the install.

Darryl R.

Reply to
DarrylR

Erik,

Did you, by any chance, see what happened after you removed the 8 pin connector in Step 7 of the installation instructions? Some of the posts that I've seen on this topic suggest that the wire in question (the one that you disconnect to enable it for free) is actually an 8 pin connector.

Thanks, Darryl R.

Reply to
DarrylR