Engine warning light problem

On my '88 4runner with V6 engine, I've been noticing that the "Charge" and "Brake" warning lights flicker momentarily once in a while. I never notice it during the day, just when driving at night. It can go for a half hour without happenning, other times they flicker on and off every 10 to 30 seconds.

Any ideas?? Why the "Charge" and "Brake" warning lights at exactly the same time? Never just one. And the battery/charge voltage always looks fine.

thanks, Paul

Reply to
Krystonia5

Assuming automatic transmission, alternator (brushes?) &| voltage regulator.

Common indicator of alt/vr problem on trucks/4x4s with automatic transmission.

good luck! GTr

- -

gregory trimper

Actually a standard code on a lot of Toys...

Reply to
HachiRoku

I don't have a wiring diagram to look at but maybe they share the same ground connection and it's getting flaky.

Bearman

Reply to
bearman

but I recently replaced the alternator???? Can another component other than the alt/vr cause this type of intermittent problem?

thanks, Paul

Reply to
Krystonia5

Maybe this is the problem?

The battery has to be about 12.5v when changing the alternator, or you can damage the regulator. Did you do it yerself, or did a 'reputable' mechanic do it?

Also, is it a *genuine* 'Yota part, or an aftermarket (the cheaper the worse...)

When I was working at a parts store, there was a brand we just refused to carry because the return rate was about 60%!

Actually, most of the time the alternator goes, it's the brushes. Approx $25 from Toyota ($14 from CarQuest) . While you're there, bearings (another $17) and regulator (I got the *exact same* regulator for my Celica at CarQuest...since I was an employee it was something like $27...same markings, same part numbers! Your cost would be about $45). This is just about what a rebuild is, as long as the core is ok, no loose windings, no races worn to where the bearings wobble. Clean it up good and put in the new parts. I di this in '91 with my 'Rolla GTS, and last summer with the Celica. The 'Rolla needs new bearings just now!

Reply to
HachiRoku

This is a classic case of worn out alternator brushes. If you know a little bit about how your alternator works and repair you can buy the parts for about 10-20 dollars. I recommend buying the genuine Toyota parts only because they come with the brush leads, while the genaric parts don't. They only cost about $10 more and make your job a lot easier.

Hope this helps, Anders

Reply to
Anders

[...]

but I did have the alternator replaced. and immediately the problem with the warning lights flickering returned. So i had it with the old alternator, that alternator seemed to die, and now it's happening with the new alternator. so wouln't it have to be something else???? I don't know what brand the new alternator was, it is the only one that Pep boys could get on that saturday afternoon when i was stranded an hours drive from home, and i had no choice but to pay $275 for a suspect brand. I don't even believe they properly tested the old alternator, when they informed me that "yup, it's bad".

thx paul

Reply to
Krystonia5

Take your vehicle to an Auto Zone or Advance and have them check your charging circuit, its free. Be sure they load test your battery. NEVER go to Pep Boys.

Reply to
IBNFSHN