Extreme lean condition - 87 22R carburetter

My 87 22R w/carb exhibits an extremely lean condition. Here's the long story. I installed a rebuilt carb years ago due to the original carb being all carbonized and gummed up and not allowing the secondary to open. Symptoms were very poor gas mileage and black smoke out of the exhaust After the rebuilt carb installation the truck never ran right. Symptoms were: NO power during normal acceleration; pushing the accelerator further made the truck go SLOWER. When pumping the pedal with little pumps of the pedal (squirting gas into the primary), I could feel surges of acceleration with each little pump. As expected, no amount of idle screw adjustment had any effect. Basically the truck was almost undrivable and the carb vendor showed NO concern. Out of desperation I rigged a short piece of thick wire to hang down into the secondary and keep the plate from opening more than 13/32in. With that setup it would drive acceptably but mileage suffered and reading the plugs showed the mixture to be rich. So I removed the vacuum cap on the upper-most capped port of the three capped ports on the passenger side of the carb. The mileage improved a little (18mpg) and the plugs looked better. I have been running it like this for a couple of years. But recently it's been stalling while idling and backfiring during accelerating. The secondary was beginning to get sticky. So just yesterday I installed a new rebuilt carb and I was hoping that the new unmodified carb might be the answer. No luck; the lean condition problem remains.

I will accept any and all diagnostic suggestions.

Reply to
imola23

You need to make 100% sure you don't have any vacuum leaks, and that you DO have the right carb. The 22R engine was not known for carb problems, on the whole. IF you are SURE you have no leaks,and have the right carb, you need to check the number on the primary and secondary main jets, and then obtain a set of larger jets. IIRC Holley jets fit

- cannot remember from what carb - but I THINK it is the ones from the holley single barrel carb used on Dodge slant six and AMC engines - if you can't get spare Toyota ones. I have drilled jets in the past with good success - but you want a fair number of off-sized spares if you go that way. The primary main is likely about 2 sizes small for ideal driveability, from past experience. My suspiscion is you have a 20R carb if it is behaving as badly as you say.

Reply to
clare

main was fussy about the filters. if i remember, there are two, one in the lines near the carb and one on the frame.

Reply to
someone

er, it's mine not main. sleudian flip.

Reply to
someone

The filters will cause problems at speed and under load - and a second or two after hitting the gas. - but a good idea to check fuel flow and pressure to be safe.

Reply to
clare

exactly, listen to the man.

Reply to
someone

Both replacement carbs were/are the correct carb, identical to the original.

Reply to
Den

You can assume that the truck is maintained properly, including the fuel filters.

Reply to
Den

i never assume that. i always check first, not because i don't trust the owner's abilities but because i want to be sure. it doesn't take long and it;s something to take off the checklist.

Reply to
someone

Are they jetted the same??? There were at least 2 calibrations for standard tranny and 2 for automatic 2 wheel drive - possibly 2 more for 4 wheel drive - and 2 more for the Celica and Corona Mark 2.

Reply to
clare

ALWAYS check fuel delivery flow and pressure before condeming a carburetor. You could have a bad filter, a bad pump,a blocked pickk-up sock or a fuel pickup drawing air - or a collapsed fuel line (rubber) or piched line (steel). A flow and pressure test will rule out ALL of them.

Reply to
clare

yes, listen to da man, he be knowin'.

Reply to