fan cluch keeps going out why

this is the 3rd one i have replace this yr it wont lock up to the fan goin gwhenit gets hot any idea on wht to do on a 2002 tacoma 2.7

BAIN15

Reply to
dan baker

It may not really be going bad. They are getting very conservative on tempature calibration of them on some models to maximize MPG and minimize their run time and when it gets a little old it ages the bimetal spring enough to the point that it does not work properly (as it ages the engagement temp increases) You could do like I have on a few vehicals in that you just reclaibrate the bimetal spring/sensor for more agressive operation.

Reply to
SnoMan

You could do like I have on a few vehicals in that you just reclaibrate the bimetal spring/sensor for more agressive operation.

I'm thinking Im goin with electric fan setup? worked great on the wifey's pontiac transport it had 2 of them on it, from factroy of course.

Reply to
Plowboy

It is not that hard to do, it depends on the clutch design, GM types are real easy to do.

Also bear in mind that electric fans do not deliver large amounts air needed when times get tough. A engine drive fan can consume 5 to 10 hp moving air but to even deliver 2hp worth of airflow with electrics would take about 180 amps of power at 12 volts which is well beyond electrical system abilities. I use this comparision to show you the limitations of electric fan cooling in HD SUV use.

Reply to
SnoMan

ho w do u reajust the spring on the cluch to make it kick in faster

BAIN15

Reply to
dan baker

Can you send me a good fairly close digital picture of it (the spring on clutch hub) and I will send you instructions or even post them here.

Reply to
SnoMan

Reply to
charles bridges

Have you checked the waterpump bearing for wear as this puts the fan clutch out of balance. Joe

Reply to
joseph bonnici