Fixing rust holes

My 88 2wd Toyota truck has alot of rust holes on both sides of the truck bed. I patched it with bondo 4 years ago but now it came back. This time I want to sand down the areas and cut out some of the bad rust spots. To patch it would I use aluminum panels and bondo for the bigger holes? Some of the holes are a couple inches wide.

Please advise.

Reply to
Mark

Thats another temporary fix. Permanent would be to sand blast the areas and mig weld in replacement steel --- then prime and use Bondo. Even fibergass and mat would be better than aluminium and bondo.

Reply to
Wolfgang

PS Ya might also try treating the areas with POR-15 rust sealer.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Reply to
scott and barb

Buy a different box (used) from Texas, or another state where they don't use salt!

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

| >> Please advise. | >

Wrong! I have a '87 Texas truck that has rust too. It mostly is where the metal is joined at the bed. I.E., three pieces of metal spot welded and then "sealed" with caulking? The rest of the truck is pristine except for hail dents from last June. I am "toying" (pun intended) with the idea of making a flatbed to replace it. I tried to locate a rust free bed here in Texas and couldn't find one for sale.

Texas has used salt for some time now. Here in Amarillo they started blending it with sand sometime in the 1980's. Also, the salt filled air found on the gulf coast is as bad in my opinion. Most of the carwashes along the coast offer undercarriage cycles.

Jarhead

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." ---Patrick Henry

Reply to
Jarhead