FJ Cruiser-- High tire pressure.

Today, I got a flat on my FJ Cruiser. ...I put in a temp. patch, and aired it up. ...I can get it properly repaired tomorrow (Monday).

I checked the inside of the door for the tire pressures, and it says that 32 pounds is standard for all tires. ...After putting this amount in my tire, I decided to check the other ones. I noticed they all had

40 pounds in them. (From the factory) What gives? ...Jon
Reply to
Johnny1000

Is your guage out of calibration?

This could give you a wrong reading, causing underinflated tires -- you fill to 32, which is really much lower because tires filled with calibrated equipment say 40 on your guage.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

40 lbs hot or cold? How long have you owned it? Any services done?

Tire pressure is part of the pre-delivery inspection you pay for when you buy the vehicle. Tire pressure must be checked with the tires at ambient temp. They can go up over 10psi when at operating temperature. This is normal. If you have owned it over a month YOU should have checked tire pressure already. If it has been serviced checking tire pressure is part of the service

- if checked cold, the service guys didn't do their job.

And lastly, 40PSI will not hurt - and on that vehicle may provide better handling (more predictability) than the recommended pressure. (depending on the tires etc) Too low pressure is MUCH more dangerous than moderate over pressure.

Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

I compared the pressure with the spare tire on the back. ...It also read

40lbs-- while still in its holder.

I've had the vehicle since the fall of 2006. ...I have to admit, I never bother to check tire pressures, but I do get the vehicle serviced at the Toyota dealarship twice a year.

I remember when I had a Ford Expedition.. ..I had the tires rotated, and when I was driving home, the vehicle felt "different". ...I went back to the tire dealarship. He re-checked the pressure and said: Jesus... You've got like 55lbs in your tires. ...They let some air out, and it drove fine. I think one of his employees didn't know what he was doing. ...Jon

Reply to
Johnny1000