FJ Cruiser steering

Hello.. When I traded my Jeep in for an FJ Cruiser, the first thing I noticed was a difference in steering. ....I thought perhaps it was the local highway here -- maybe a difference in spacing between the left and right side wheels, vs. the permanent wheel ruts on the asphalt.

Anyways......I get the feeling like I am going to lose control of the vehicle, like I'm driving top heavy in a windstorm. I can't put my finger on the problem, but it feels like the steering is sluggish or something -- like I have an urge to over correct. As I said, I thought it was the local highway here, but my Brother, who bought an FJ a few months after I did, remarked about the same steering problem (even before I even told him what I had experienced. ) Moreover, he lives 1000 miles away under different driving conditions.

Has anyone heard of such a problem? Ironically, on the I-5 freeway, where the driving is basically straight line, I don't notice any problem at all -- irrespective of speed. Thanks... Jon

Reply to
Johnny1000

Short wheelbase with power rack and pinion, get used to it. Also, ignore the recommended tire pressure, and inflate them to around 32# in front.

Reply to
DanG

Per Jan. '07 testing by Consumer Reports:

"Handling is clumsy and disconcerting at its limits."

"The ride is very jittery."

"Handling is clumsy, with pronounced body lean and frequent tire squeal."

"Impressive off-road ability, a strong powertrain, and excellent first-year reliability are its only real strengths."

Sorry.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

And talk to a local alignment shop - sometimes they give you a wide tolerance of "acceptable" settings of toe-in, caster and camber - but if you're at the wrong end of the tolerances it handles very badly. Tweak the toe-in to the other end of the window and it cleans the handling issues right up.

No!! You need to double check them against the tire maker's Pressure/Load charts and actual axle weights before you start deviating from the car maker recommended pressure.

People change to different size or load rating tires all the time that need to be run at a higher or lower pressure than the stock tires, and that's OK - but then you have to go with what the tire maker's chart says.

Some cars will handle so badly they'll go straight into the ditch (or tree, etc.) if you pump all the tires up to full maximum sidewall pressure.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

You know very well that Toyota recommends front pressures that are too low and contribute to sway. the FJ is heavy in the front and will benefit from more pressure. Not to mention improved tread life and gas mileage. They lower the pressures to decrease roll-over risk and soften the ride. Tire-maker's charts are similarly weighted to cover their asses against roll-overs and over-heating.

The best option will be to throw away the stock tires and get a good set of Michelins, then inflate to a pressure that gives the correct tread-to-pavement contact footprint. It can be pretty amazing how much difference a set of real tires can make.

Reply to
DanG

I have to tell you, though... Not withstanding the odd steering characteristics I've experienced on the local highway around here, I've driven the B.C. to Calif./Reno route, 30 times in the last 13 years. ... And by far, the most comfortable and relaxing trip has been the last two in my FJ. ...In fact, I had to watch myself as the vehicle handled so well, I found I was doing 80+ mph, without even realizing it.

Whatever the problem is, it is not "wheel play".. ...It feels more like a top heaviness, like (on the corners) you're fighting the natural momentum of the vehicle to want to go straight. Funny... I never noticed anyhing like this with my "expedition", even though this vehicle was also top heavy. ...Jon

Reply to
Johnny1000

I haven't noticed any steering issues, but I agree with increasing the front tire pressure if you're having issues. Mine ran great at stock height and now even better lifted. Even with a set of 33" Hankook DynaPro MT's on it, it rides and tracks fine. The ride was in no way bad at stock height tho. You have to remember it's not a sports car and that there is a lot of wind drag. I'd hate to see a wind tunnel test on the FJ. As was stated earlier, a front end allignment may be in order also. I had mine done, but that was because of the lift.

Reply to
Bill Smith

Different front end geometry, like differing caster angles?

My Tacoma really wants to straighten itself out much more than my Wrangler.

Reply to
B A R R Y