fuel filter relocation on 22re: ugly but it works

I'm sure you guys can come up with something prettier, but I'm one of those "if it works, it works" kind of guys. No chrome or anodizing needed. I've seen a few posts recently about the incredible PITA that it is to replace the fuel filters on the 22re so I figured I would show some pics of what I did on my '85 4Runner to get around that. The regular location requires busting your knuckles and doing things that would get you through an audition for Cirque de Soleil. The result is that a mechanic willing to do it for you is going to charge around $40 for the favor. By relocating it, I can now change my filter while standing up and in under 10 minutes. This makes for a much greater willingness to change it and depending on where you take your rig and the quality of gas you get, it probably needs changing much more often than occurs. My approach was very basic. I went to Home Depot and grabbed a foot long piece of quarter inch mending strap. I took the old filter out and used it as a model for bending the strap to fit the shape of the filter. I then added a bend to move the filter back from the intake manifold and bolted the filter to the bracket, drilled the inner fender and bolted the bracket to the inner fender. Here are a few pics of the results:

Works like a charm. I tried this on my wife's '91 Toyota extra cab pickup with a 22re though and the fuel line was too short to get it away from the intake without putting a crimp in the fuel line that led to surging. Personally, I think it would be well worth it to get a new longer fuel line to allow for relocating the filter. Chris whitewall junkie and variation dabbler Mfinja's Hot Wheels with Whitewalls

Reply to
Whitewall Junkie

pretty neat! im guessing they mounted the filter where they did so it would vibrate with the engine. the engine rocking back and forth when in gear will add slightly more strain to the lines connected to the stationary fuel filter. easy enough to keep an eye on tho.

Reply to
SoCalMike

I did this too except I had enough hose to bolt the filter directly to the fender using the holes on the filter bracket itself. Mine sounds like a helicopter when it's running now. The fuel being pumped through it I presume. Very easy to change now though. That was the worst spot to put a filter and the hardest I've ever had to change.

Reply to
mazdaman85

Are you sure you haven't relocated it too far and crimped one of the fuel lines? If you do, it will cause surging/pulsing sounds and some actual surging in the engine from the high pressure trying to squeak past a kink.

Chris whitewall junkie and variation dabbler Mfinja's Hot Wheels with Whitewalls

Reply to
Whitewall Junkie

I didn't think I did, but I will check it this morning. If so I'll make it up like yours. Thanks for the tip.

Mike

Reply to
mazdaman85