Fuel Gauge 2001 4 Runner Mis-Reading

Yesterday, within about five miles of the fuel warning light coming on (normally about 3 gallons left), I apparently ran out of gas on I-5. I was at first sure that something else had gone wrong, as I saw the check engine light come on, but that was actually a result of the truck stalling. I was able to restart the engine long enough to get off the freeway, then I coasted into a place that sold fuel (an old country store/bar that was still using pumps with mechanical counters).

The fuel gauge seems to be working, it goes up when the fuel level goes up.

I-5 in that area is a very slight downgrade, but OTOH, the rear of the vehicle was sagging slightly under the weight of four bicycles on a hitch mounted rack (probably 150 pounds including the rack). Where is the float in the tank for the 2001 4Runner, and what effect could the non-level nature have on the fuel level?

Reply to
SMS

There is a low fuel sensor that's separate from the floater. That sensor may be malfunctioning. You can test the gauge and low fuel light by jumping the connector just outside the tank. Not sure which pins. Check Haynes or other manuals.

Reply to
johngdole