Fuel Gauge Problem

98 Tacoma 4X4 3.4 x-cab. Bought it new, best vehicle I've ever had but>............. since new the fuel gauge has been whacky.....after about a hundred miles, it reads empty, sometimes to pop back up.....then after filling the tank, it stays on empty for another 60-100 miles, then pops back up. I have learned to use my A odemeter as my fuel gauge. Dealer through the years has checked it out and said nothing was wrong...go figure. I'm been so used to it it's normal for me anymore but any ideas? Thanks
Reply to
Grip

If "over the years" included those under warranty then the gauge/ sender should have been replaced free instead of giving this "everything is normal" crap.

May be you had a bad fuel level sender in the tank. Usually the result of sulfur corrosion.

I think Haynes should give you the steps of checking the fuel gauge on the instrument panel. make sure that gauge is not acting up. Then you can check the resistance of the sender when full and empty, etc.

The sender is usually around $50 street price.

Reply to
johngdole

On that sulpher issue ... The southeast USA had a huge issue with this at about the time when that truck was new, and the sending unit _may_ have been damaged as a result.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

If the problem is deposit buildup, such as might be caused by sulfer, it is possible that putting a strong fuel system cleaner such as BG

44K into the gas tank might dissolve it. If you've used a fuel system cleaner regularly, you've already tried that. If not, it might be worth a try. It has been known to work. Good luck. Al
Reply to
al

Chevron's Techron cleaner says it can help clean up sulfur deposit from fuel senders, if used in the early phase. That's probably the cheapest attempt to fix it, and it's why I suggest a Tier 1 gas and not just the cheapest no-brand gas you can find.

If the problem was left until the corrosion phase set in then replacement may be the only option.

johngdole

I appreciate being pointed in a workable direction guys! Thank you all.....

Reply to
Grip

I'm sorry not to be more helpful, but the ex-wife took the 2000 4-Runner and the maintenance file I had. That said, I had the same problem on that 2000

4-Runner. Back then, I was able to find a factory service bulletin that allowed for the reset of the fuel gauge using a combination of push button strokes on the odometer reset button. I know, it sounds ridiculous, but I did their procedure and my fuel gauge never gave me another problem. If you've had this problem since vehicle new, you might consider that it's not some sort of deposit build up.

After "fixing" my problem, I read about the TSB that told mechanics to replace the fuel sender. I took my written procedure to my local Toyota service manager, and he gave me a free set of spark plugs and a case of oil filters - he was quite pleased to get an alternative.

I'm sorry I no longer have the written procedure, as I said, the ex got the file. My point is, I found the procedure while digging on the internet back in 2001. I'm guessing that it's still out there - buried somewhere. Good Luck!

Reply to
Dan Swensen

Hey, that did gfet me looking elsewhere, thanks! The price of replacing send unit+labor is unbelievable....I'll keep using the trip meter. I've been doing thus for years now and am used to it, but was worth asking...

Reply to
Grip

I was able to clean the sensor contacts in my BMW to solve essentially the same problem. I have a '94 325i, and the fuel level would not float to Full after filling the tank. I pulled the sensor out of the tank and cleaned the contact strip (a wiper sort of thing) with a rough-surfaced business card and a liberal dose of contact cleaner.

Since your level sensor has displayed wrong from very early in your ownership experience, and my BMW took 10+ years to develop a similar problem, I have to go with the software fix before taking the gas tank apart. (I did not know there was a software fix until I read it here.)

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The Bosch Motronic systems actually have periodic software updates. Not sure when the likes of BMW, Volvo, VW, MB, etc update them, maybe during major maintenance or such.

Yeah, with these European cars it's almost like you drive the computer, and then the computer drives the car. Kinda annoying for the shade tree mechanics, but makes lots of safety features, like Volvo's automatic collision avoidance braking system possible.

Reply to
johngdole

Thanks to Dan's suggestion and a little googling. Don't know if it's the same thing, but Grip can give it a try:

Toyota TSB EL010-99 Fuel Gauge Calibration Procedure

johngdole

Yep, that's the one. All I can say is that it worked for me!!

Dan

Dan Swensen