Gadget/Bushing suggestions

Have a 2000 Prerunner (2.7liter/4) with 58k. Looking to replace rubber bushings on the swaybar. Polyurathane replacements are supposedly too harsh. A harder rubber than OEM replacements is what I am looking for. Any suggestions? GSP

Reply to
gsp

When I bought my new '66 SS 396 Chevelle, the thing had too much horsepower and too little suspension. I got severe wheel hop when I launched hard. I took off the control arms and took small (about 1/8" diameter (don't know the "penny" size)) finish nails and drove them through the rubber, parallel with the center bushing. I drove them through at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions, cut them off flush with the end of the rubber, then tried it. It was better but still had too much flex, so I drove in four more nails between the existing ones. That helped even more. I used the car as a daily driver and didn't want to stiffen it up too much, so I left it at that. More nails would have made it stiffer. I assume that the physics of it is that the nails take up space by compressing the rubber, thus making it stiffer...

If poly bushings had been available in '66, I probably would have gone that route, but the nails were available and easy to use.

As usual, your mileage may vary and kids under 12 admitted free with a paying adult... :>))

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM