gas milage/power

Hi I bought a 1989 4runner. It is getting very bad gas milage. (about 10 mpg +-) I had a mechanic do a oil change gas filter, oil filter, air filter, plugs, timing. This improved the power and made it run smoother.... but it is still getting bad milage. It also seems to hesitate when i first apply the gas, but runs better after a minute of driving. Thanks in advance for your sage advice. mj

Reply to
mj99a

There are some other basics you should look at:

Hubs (are the locked? have they been serviced/greased lately? they could be causing drag on the drivetrain)

Brakes (too tight? frozen rear wheel cylinder? both could cause drag on the driveline)

Grease the prop shafts, change the transfer case, tranny, and diff oil.

If Automatic, is it shifting correctly? If Manual, is the clutch shifting?

Were the Bosch Platinum plugs installed? Replace with ND or NGK.

Spark Plug Wires?

Are you driving over 65mph on the highway (mileage will decrease significantly, especially for an auto 4cyl)?

Could also do a compression check, the "first minute of hesitation" could be failing head gasket or valve or ring/cylinder.

Good luck! GTr

Reply to
gregory trimper

You left out which engine, where you are and what driving you are doing to get 10mpg. If I'm in the field or back and forth to the barn, I never get close to 10mpg, nor do I expect it.

I wonder if you had an emission test before buying the car. And you have starting hesitation after a tuneup? I'm thinking exhaust recirc, but not always.

Reply to
Alesandra

Sounds like a V6 with automatic and M&S 31" tires. If so 10 isn't "very" bad - best you'd expect is maybe 17 on hwy. Hesitation is caused by dirty/worn fuel injectors (send them off to DOA racing for a rebuild and calibration. Clean the throttle body. Add bottle of Chevron Techron to next tank of gas or 2. Do a compression check - will indicate valve/ring/head problems. Get a K&N air filter. If automatic hub swap out to manual (AISIN or Warn). Increase tire pressure to 32 lbs. Change thermostat - might not be reaching operating temperature quickly. If it needs exhaust consider slightly larger size freer flowing with headers and new catalytic converter.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Hi again, Yes I didn't mention that it is the six cylinder 3.0 EFI and I am driving in the city of San Francisco. The car was smogged and passed well. Back brakes were OK the front were rebuilt with the tuneup I spoke of. I will do all of the reccomendations you folks have mentioned (as I can afford now) And if you have more please pass them to me. I love my

4runner.... but we have the most expensive gas in the country!! Oh yes... I use Chevron w/ Techron gas 87 octane. Thanks again mj
Reply to
mj99a

Check to see that the driveshaft u-joints are properly phased. This will cause a huge binding in the drivetrain.

Reply to
Celica Dude

Carb or EFI? If carb, remove the carb and check the butterfly valves that you can only see from the bottom. One of mine was stuck shut once, and couldn't open. Could only get 14 MPG.

Reply to
Den

Carb or EFI? If carb, remove the carb and check the butterfly valves that you can only see from the bottom. One of mine was stuck shut once, and couldn't open. Could only get 14 MPG.

Reply to
Den

Den asked: