Gas Mileage?

I have a 2004 Tacoma Doublecab TRD that when driven mildly agressive gives me about 18 mpg. Lately I've had to drive much further to work, about 50/50 highway city miles. I've found I can actually get somewhere between 21 to

22 mpg if I just take it easy and accelerate slowly and coast earlier when you know you have to stop or slow down. It's hard though when you are in competitive traffic that if there's room inbetween you and the car in front of you some A$$hole has to squeeze in to make his turn.
Reply to
Mac

I've been considering buying a new used truck. I have previously only purchased Fords. I am likeing the Tacoma. I am curious about the actual gas mileage and if there are areas to look out for when checking out a

2000-2004 extended cab Tacoma.
Reply to
JayCups

Depends on how many Taco Bells there are in your town

Reply to
Noon-Air
20 mpg is a pretty good average. but I have 4wd v-6. 85 mph is a bit less (I-15 LA to LV).

There is a 2wd i-4 and v-6, Prerunner v-6 only I think, and 4wd. The 2wd i-4 is over 25mpg. But anyone can do a fast run and kill the mileage. I've seen 10 gallons go in 30 miles, but that was my youngest in a parking lot trying to park between 2 white lines.

Reply to
Luba Papageorgio

I have the 00 Tacoma 4 x 4 reg cab. I get 27 mpg on the highway and about 20 in town. This of course is driving within the posted limits and the truck has locking hubs so it is not in 4 x 4 all the time.

Reply to
Dave

So would I be right to assume I'd get 18-24 mpg on the Highway with a V-6 extended cab 4x2 with a manual transmission?

From what I have gleaned from the NG is that the 4 cylinder is more problematic than the V-6? Is there a diesel available in the 2000-2004 models?

Jay

Dave wrote:

Reply to
JayCups

Others have provided enough mpg info. I'll add this: Make sure you take a good, long test drive and you're comfortable in the bucket seats. I'm slim, so they're fine for me. But, I've seen a few comments here from bigger people who weren't happy with them. And, of course, be prepared to complain about the hard-to-see clock, which seems to be a major issue for some people.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I'm NOT slim, and I bought the TRD package because I LOVE those seats!

I concur, DRIVE it! Some folks don't like the low to the floor position of the seats, I also like that characteristic... Whatever fits is what's best for any buyer.

The clock _is_ kind of lame, but I've got a nice $15 Timex.

Reply to
Bonehenge

If someone drives down the road while constantly looking at the clock, they either need to leave earlier, or they need a psychiatrist.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

There's a clock on the dash? I'll have to keep looking.

bb

Reply to
bb

The 4 cyl has not been any more problematic than the V6, to my knowledge. For earlier models just the opposite, although in the model year range you are looking at neither engine is "better" or "worse" than the other.

A diesel engine is not currently an option for Toyotas in the United States. I assume that's where you write from else you'd be asking after kilometers per litre for the Hilux line!

As Bonehenge states, drive before you buy, particularly if you are used to Ford trucks with V8s.

-- Mike Harris

1995 Tacoma 2.4L 2wd Austin TX
Reply to
Mike Harris
98 V-6 Extend Cab TRD.......average 20 MPG

Reply to
Grip