Gas mileage question??

I have herd that driving with your tailgate down will give you better gas mileage. Is this true?? Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

NO,, its not true.. it was proved on myth busters that you get better gas milage with the tail-gate up.. there was a college that did a drag test as well and found the same results.. tail-gate down = more vehicle drag.. more drag = less gas milage..

troy

Reply to
Troy

boy this is one sure myth that never goes away!

Reply to
Fuller Rath

They also showed that driving with the Windows Down and the AC off provides better MPG than with them up and the AC on.

Reply to
Leythos

Never investigated that one. But who gives a fluck. I don't want exhaust dirt and our 115 degree summers infecting my commute.

Reply to
Fuller Rath

Wind tunnel tests with the tailgate up show that a slug of air sits in the bed without much motion or air exchange. This causes any wind to skim the surface of the slug that has a very low drag factor. Putting the tailgate down causes the wind to come into contact with the bed's sides and floor, along with the tailgate, a higher drag factor than the slug of air has.

Reply to
skipfromla

The firs time the "mythbusters" investigated this "myth," it was one of the worst run experiments they ever did,. They drove two Expeditions in circles on a short oval race track (1/4 mile?). They kept the speeds low (45 or 50) becasue they were afraid of overheating the tires. They used two different Expedition, neither one of which was broken in. In my opinion the results were worthless. And I think the "Mythbuster" realized this, since they re-invertigated the myth. The second invertigation was a little better, although they still didn't drive as fast as I thought they should. The second invertigation yielded more sensible results - at slow speeds you achieve better gas mileage with the windows down and A/C off. At higher speeds, windows up, A/C on was better. In the real world it is much more complicated. I think we could all agree that windows up / AC off is the most efficient method but leaving the car at home is even more fuel efficient.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

A college study, which I can no longer find, found that the most efficient truck was with a shell that was cab height but curved in the back down to the top of the tailgate. It smoothed out the airflow behind the truck according to their wind tunnel tests.

Reply to
Anyolmouse

point made. as long as they are regarded as such and not authorities on any topic

Reply to
Fuller Rath

Reply to
<goddess151

They are getting extrememly good at blowing shit up though!

I view purely for entertainment purposes.

Reply to
Scotty

The best part!

"Jamie want big boom!"

It appeals to what I wanted to do when I was 12.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Reply to
Frank

and they get paid to do it

: > They are getting extrememly good at blowing shit up though! : : The best part! : : "Jamie want big boom!" : : It appeals to what I wanted to do when I was 12.

Reply to
Fuller Rath

I'm so jealous!

Reply to