Gas Prices making a dent ... finally!

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Yes. People who subscribe. You're an expert statistician. Explain the effect of this fact on the survey results.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

You mean they survey the FEW thousand people who happen to subscribe to their magazine, you need to expand your search criteria to get the true picture. An average of nearly 17,000,000 new vehicles have been sold annually in the US over the past ten years. I for one buy a lot of new cars and I have not had ONE that was problematic in years, foreign or domestic In my former business we serviced thousands of vehicles from all brands monthly in our shops and we saw little difference in the failure rate among brands. In my opinion the average new car buyer would do better to look at the cost of repairs among brands rather than any perceived frequency difference in the need for repairs

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

GM has ALWAYS sold more vehicles than Toyota. GM today sells more trucks alone in the US than Toyota sells cars and trucks combined. At one point GM sold nearly 50% of all the vehicles sold in the US. They now sell around

32% but that is a greater number in a 17,000,000 market than 50% was in a 9,000,000 market. Toyota sells a bit over 10% of the market

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Why do you buy a lot of new cars? How often? What kind?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

These figures are in no way indicative of quality. You know that.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I could not care less where one chooses to spend their money. My point is, buying a particular brand any brand, at a premium price thinking it will not break down is foolish. They ALL break down at some point. In our business we serviced thousands of vehicles and kept meticulous records over the years. No matter how one feels about the brand they prefer, the fact is there is little difference in the failure rate among brands and we had the records to prove that fact. What should be more important to the owner is the cost of maintenance and repairs over time, if they are not the average new vehicle buyer who replaces his vehicle with another new vehicle in three to four years with 30K to 45K on the clock. Would you rather spend $500 to replace a power steering pump on a Caddy or one on a Lexus for $1,500? Better yet price an engine or tranny for both. A four cylinder Honda engine cost nearly as much as a Detroit V8. One reason one sees plenty of old domestics sedans at car shows and few if any Japanese cars is the cost and availability of parts to keep them on the road over time.

mike hunt

"High Tech Misfit" wrote in message news:17fvvwbkl074b$. snipped-for-privacy@hightech.misfit...

Reply to
Mike Hunter

If I said I was going to shoot at you with 50% of the bullets in a six shot

38 revolver or 30% of the 20 shot clip in a Klock would it mean something to you? LOL

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Are you referring to the cost of only the pump itself, or is labor included in those numbers?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Maybe you'd better sign up for lessons on how to use your newsreader.

Reply to
DH

If your business was the service business, then you're in a poor situation to judge. From your perspective, the failure rate is going to be 100%; everything that comes in is broken.

I haven't had to get any Toyota repairs, yet (approaching 6 Toyota-years, now), but I was favorably impressed with the price of Volvo parts and service; it was less per hour than the Chevy or Ford dealer and the parts were comparable (recollection from the 1990s, I stopped owning Fords and Chevys before 2000).

Reply to
DH

Reply to
Bob Palmer

"Mike Hunter"

Mike, you need to get out of this Toyota group here and go to the GMC newsgroup so you can be pacified. I'm sorry, but your arguments do not stack up. It is ok if you are one of the patriotics that have to buy American. We here in this newsgroup would like to talk about our Toyotas, and how long we must go before the next oil change. Good luck promoting the GM way of life.

Reply to
Bob Palmer

But then he wouldn't be able to start flame threads.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

That has not been my experience! My Ford F250 was much more expensive to repair and maintain than my Tundra. Plus it was not as well engineered at all. It seems that the American big 3 do the bare minimum to get their vehicles to the end of the warranty period. As soon as my Fords hit 100000 Km they were starting to cost big $$$. I had many Ford trucks before coming back to Toyota. They all had the same rough best before date (100000km)

Reply to
notmyrealname

Nah, there should always be someone with an alternate point of view. Whether it's right or wrong doesn't matter. We can't have everyone thinking within the same "box", can we? Besides, how much Toyota talk is there going on in this group anyway?

Reply to
badgolferman

A Klock?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I envy the purchasers of vehicles that last 200,000 miles and more without major problems. Wait. I am one! I don't have to envy myself anymore. . . .

Charles of Kankakee

93 Corolla 205,500 miles
Reply to
n5hsr

OK. Just how do you stand working in IT and being such a liberal at the same time?

I'd figure your head would explode from the contradiction.

Charles of Kankakee

Reply to
n5hsr