Gasket or Sealer for water pump?

Greetings from one of the many long-time lurkers. I finally have a question that I hope is worthy of your time.

I have an '89 truck, 4WD, 3.0L V6 with a dead water pump. The local Toyota dealer has two different types of replacement water pumps for this model truck; one with a small tube extending out of the thermostat housing, the other without. The difference, I've been told, is due to transmission type. My truck, which has a manual transmission, has the pump without the tube.

My question: The pump *with* the tube, the dealer sells together with a type of medal and rubber gasket. The pump *without* the tube comes with no gasket, and the parts guy tells me to just use a bead of sealer, and that he can't sell the gasket as a separate item. Why the difference? The pumps are identical in every other respect (except the dealer charges $10 more for the pump w/o the tube? Why??)

So which is better: the gasket or the sealer? And if I do need to use the sealer, what type of sealer is best to use? I'd like to make sure I do this right, because the old pump was leaking really badly from between the sealing surfaces.

Any advice from you expert mechanics would be greatly appreciated.

Jim in Redlands

Reply to
Jim in Redlands

I'm no expert mechanic but I have an 04 Tacoma Doublecab and old aircooled VWs. I once made an oil pump plate gasket out of a grocery bag and Gascasinc (sp?). I haven't driven it but a couple hundred miles since I did due to other issues like suspension and wiring but it's been run alot without moving to show people and tuning/troubleshooting purposes. Aircooled VWs oil gets just as warm if not warmer than coolant on warm days (I live in FL) and it hasn't leaked, or ever seeped minute amounts, any oil at all. Even had quite a bit of gas get into my crankcase twice due to carb issues and it is still holding perfectly. What started as a temporary repair for me just might be permanent.

Mac

Reply to
Mac

Buy the cheaper one withthe gasket and block off the tube.

Reply to
Scotty

If you buy the one with the tube, you'll just have to block it off and that's another potential coolant leak. Haven't you had enough trouble dure to coolant leaks? Apparently the other posters havent, and I've seen a LOT of those rubber block off plugs fail. Get the CORRECT one for engine and use a QUALITY RTV sealer like permatex. I'd recommend Ultra Blue or Ultra Black, they're both sensor safe for O2 sensors and such, cheaper RTV will DESTROY sensors. All of the auto makers and dealerships have been switching to RTV rather than stamped sheet gaskets for a lot of applications, such as oil pans, valve cover gaskets, water pumps, transmission pans, differential covers, beacuse they last LONGER and seal BETTER than conventional gaskets. The only things I use conventional gaskets on are EGR valves, heads, intakes and exhaust manifolds, everything else gets RTV. I've had no complaints of leaks for over 10 years! Just be sure to follow the directions EXACTLY and be sure both mating surfaces are perfectly CLEAN to ensure the RTV will stick like it should. Also, be sure to torque the bolts to the spec. to prevent over squeezing the RTV.

Reply to
MrFixit469

Hi Jim what does the original pump use to seal??? If they recommend sealant what type do they recommend??? I'd make sure it was sensor safe (I use ultra blue) and let it set before filling and running. Good Luck Joe

Reply to
Joe

Thank you very much. This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. Just curious though; I notice that Permatex makes a sealer that is supposed to be an "RTV silicone gasket material formulated specifically for water pumps and thermostat housings". Any thoughts on how that compares to the Ultra Blue or Ultra Black? Thanks again -- very much appreciated.

Reply to
Jim in Redlands

Hi Joe, Good question. I was wondering the same thing myself, because I hadn't actually pulled the pump yet -- I ran out of time the other night after I got started. I'm trying to get all the parts I need today, so I can get started on it bright and early tomorrow morning, and hopefully get finished. The manual recommends "Seal packing: Part No.08826-00100 or equivalent". I guess that's the Toyota part number. I 've been trying to figure out which Permatex product that would match. Thanks again, Jim

Reply to
Jim in Redlands

The permatex RTV designated for water pumps and thermostats is fine, the Ultra Black or Blue is just a slight upgrade. There's NOTHING which surpasses the Ultra line. You can't go wrong with either.

Reply to
MrFixit469