Great Solution - Real Coil Springs - 1993 4Runner

I have had a sagging back end for years on my 1993 3L Auto 4x4

4Runner. It was true when I got it at 60K... and it was still true at 170K last month when I just had to have a solution for a big trip and need to tow something.

I put on Moog stock replacement springs (part #cc225). VERY happy with them.

The Moog's increased the height right out of box (in the parking lot before any driving) a bit less than 1.5" (as measured from the ground aligned with the center of the rear axle up to the edge of the wheel well.). They are "progressive" or "variable load" springs; meaning they stay at "stock" duty for normal driving but when you are loaded up with gear or tow then they provide more beef. Now after 2K miles (most of which was pulling a camper and and all of it with a backend full of stuff)... the lift has settled at a bit more than 1.25". The sag look is really a lot better... would not have expected that much a visual improvement with a "stock" solution. The ride was great with a full load and the deflection with trailer and gear in the backend was about 2.5" (or only 1" below where old springs sat the 4Runner when it was empty!). With the old springs I got more than 2.5" of sag with just four passengers and a load of X-mas gifts in the back.

The most important thing for me is that the new Moog springs also perform really well (supportive but not at all harsh) when the 4Runner is otherwise empty only myself driving in city/highway which is 99% of the miles.

I did not get Old Man Emu or Performance Products Auto rear coil springs, which I had been looking at for a long time, because they (after doing a lot of research) are actually not a stock replacement duty but are in fact a medium duty and some cases heavy duty upgrade solution. Because I rarely take my 4Runner off asphalt I have no need or desire to get hard rock climbing or towing springs. They, OME and PP, would have corrected the sag AND added another inch or better to the total adjustment. A 4x4 shop here in Denver who does Old Man Emu parts all the time told me I could expect as much as 3 inches in correction, harder ride all the time except when loaded up, and a lower looking front end. That is just what many 4x4 folks are look for... but those were not my requirements.

So my Moog's have given me the best of both world as far as I am concerned. Sag is much much better, ride remains excellent, and I have some beef in the springs for the few occasions when I tow or load up.

Dave-in-Denver

Reply to
dwkerschen

Um... Good for you?

Was this a MOOG advertisement?

Reply to
jp2express

Well if they want to send me a $100 that would be just fine.

I am just a recently retired guy who is really happy with this product and really thankful to this site (and similar) as a research tool.

Dave-in-Denver

Reply to
dwkerschen

LOL

I understand.

Just an FYI: You might want to modify your email address so that web-crawl>

Reply to
jp2express