Happy Bday to my truck

My 96 4runner just celebrated another birthday today hit 120,000 miles / 200,000 km

still running extremely strong no problems since I bought it at 60,000 m 2 years ago all you out there with 300,000 or 400,000 kms when did you hit your first major failure or repair? or is it still to come? Dave

Reply to
JimmySmitsLovesChocolateMilk

You have had the timing belt changed (6 cyl)?

Reply to
Wolfgang

not yet,

I'm cautious to change it, as I am kinda feeling like, if it aint broke, don't fix it, and since it is a non interference engine I'm thinking I'll take my chances

Dave

Reply to
Jimmy Smits Loves Chocolate Milk

Take your chances? Like when you're accelerating onto the Interstate in front of the semi doing 90?

Reply to
Jim Mc

As a general rule, beyond the significant timing belt issue, I'd be sure to flush the cooling system (not drain it, but have it flushed), and if the truck is an automatic, I'd do the same for the tranny. Both are preventative moves, meant to avoid larger $$$ later.

I say that having lost a radiator, a heater core, and a water pump on different vehicles over the years, all around or just over 100k miles. The tranny flush is to avoid one of the most costly repairs out there, a rebuild or replacement transmission. That kind of crap gives me the heebs, so I just attack it before it attacks me.

Same for the timing belt. (and I had a Subaru horizontally-opposed, non-interference engine and still changed the belts).

Good luck,

Stew '00 Prerunner / 2.7 4cyl

Reply to
S.Lewis

Mine turns 15 this month. (Jan '89 4x4, V6, Sr5)

172k miles. No major repairs to speak of... Did an oil analysis recently as well, no problems noted.

--Ben

Reply to
Ben Smith

my 93 is gettin head gaskets and possably anew head or two this week.

Reply to
fixitman

My 89 SR5 V6 4WD P/u just turned 260K miles. No major problems. The head gaskets were replaced under the campaign. I replaced the timing belt at 100K and again at 238K, just because I had the engine apart. Niether time did the belt show any heavy wear. I just changed the clutch at 250K, only because the pilot bearing was noisy. Still runs great, despite being worked on by idiots at Dublin Toyota in California... This truck has never been towed, all repairs were minor enough that the vehicle was still driveable, even when that stupid little 'J' shaped coolant hose at the top back center of the engine breaks, I think I'm on the 4th one of those.

Reply to
Kurt

Hey Kurt,

My 89 2WD 4 cyl is about to hit 257K miles. I still have the original clutch and timing belt. I am starting to leak a little oil and wonder if my main seal needs replacement. Today I need to replace the thermostat. The truck just keeps running and won't quit.

Bill

Reply to
Brush

Reply to