Hard to when engine is hot

I have a 1983 toyota pickup and lately when the engine is hot. It is hard to get the engine started also when the enigne is hot the truck has very little power and when you take your foot of the gas it stalls. But the engine runes just fine when the engine cold and always starts right up easy when cold.Oh and I almost forgot when you first start the engine when cold if you floor it it stalls also. And it has been getting bull shit gas mileage(10-12 MPG). I am thinking maybe carb But am not sure. Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

Oh and the engine is a 22R. Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

Do you have a Catalytic Converter ? If so, (sounds like it's plugged up.)

Reply to
wallman

Did you fix the head gasket yet?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yea it has catalytic Converter. And Yes I put some head gasket repair stuff in it.As far as I know it is fixed for now.

Reply to
Jamie Mello

Is there is there anyway to unclog the Catalytic Converter,Or do I have to buy a new? And how hard are the Catalytic Converters to install? Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

You do not have issues with the CAT.

Well, maybe you do. A clogged CAT will cause the power curve to be very flat, and you might not have any power at all above 35-ish MPH.

No, there is no way to unclog a CAT. You can smash the guts out of it, but that's illegal. The cost to replace one should be around $100-ish, heavy on the -ish.

A clog anywhere in the exhaust system can cause a flat power curve. Think of the engine as an air pump, you can't suck in more air if you can't spit out the air that is already there. Air goes in, air comes out. It does lots of stuff in the middle, but we don't much care right now. If the exhaust system is clogged -- baffles that come loose from spot welds and get wedged in the air passages, for example -- the air that has been drawn in can not get out. If air can not get out, no more air can be pulled in. If no more air can be pulled in, then the power curve instantly goes flat at the velocity of the air that can move through the system. Power is a function of air, limitations to the air create limitations on the power. Think of the Restrictor Plate they use during some NASCAR races, a clogged exhaust does some of the same things as trhe restrictor plate, except that NASCAR runs with 700HP, your Toyota runs on about 100HP, so the loss you feel is pretty dramatic.

I once had a clog in the exhaust system of my motor home. Power went into the dumper, and fuel consumption went through the roof. I normally got about

7 ~ 10mpg dragging my Jeep around the planet, but when the exhaust clogged coming back from Lake Havasu, my mileage dropped to about 3 or 4, and my speed fell to 30 or so on the inclines because I simply could not produce the power needed to get up the hill. I thought the CAT was clogged, but when I pulled it off, it was clear. I went to the muffler shop and had a new muffler installed, and the problem was resolved. It sounds to me as though you are having similar problems. Actually, I think your engine is about to give up on you, but a clogged exhaust is cheaper.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I do not know what is wrong I do not have any power over like 35 to like 40 if I am lucky.I bought a used flow master muffler from my nearby junk yard and I will weld it up tomorrow. But I would still like to know what I need fixed on the engine? I know I got scamed on my junk pickup so do not tell that ok. But this was my first car so I did not know what to look for. (my dad was to drunk that day I bought it to help me with it But that is a other story) Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

I do not know what is wrong I do not have any power over like 35 to like 40 if I am lucky.I bought a used flow master muffler from my nearby junk yard and I will weld it up tomorrow. But I would still like to know what I need fixed on the engine? I know I got scamed on my junk pickup so do not tell that ok. But this was my first car so I did not know what to look for. Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

hey man... sorry to hear that your still having problems with your truck. I'd start by pulling the cat out and seeing if it is plugged up with a visual check if possible. After that if its clogged you have two options you can replace the cat (not that difficult) by either welding in a new one or using clamps and such to put in a new one. or you can take the cat out and replace it with straight pipe (probably illegal depending on where you are) or you can "unclog" the cat with a piece of rebar (about as legal as the straight pipe) the only advantage to this is it's probably going to be easier to do with limited skills and also looks like you still have a cat.

Reply to
Toshi38

I am thinking about just parting out the truck.But I do not know if I could find a truck that is a 1982 or 1983 toyota 4x4. I love to rock craw and some of my friends said that a 82-83 toyota 4x4 pickups are good for offroading.(I found out that they have dana 44's in the front and rear) Is there any input on if I should part the truck out and risk not find a 82-83 or spend the money to get the truck fixed? It needs transmission work,a ton of engine work the front axle needs new gears,needs new tires soon also. Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

I am thinking about just parting out the truck.But I do not know if I could find a truck that is a 1982 or 1983 toyota 4x4 pickup.I love to rock craw and some of my friends said that a 82-83 toyota 4x4 pickups are good for rock crawing.(I found out that they have dana 44's in the front and rear) Is there any input on if I should part the old truck out and risk not find a other 82-83 toyota truck. Or should I spend the money to get the truck fixed? It needs transmission work,a ton of engine work the front axle needs new gears,needs new tires soon also. Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

I am thinking about just parting out the truck.But I do not know if I could find a truck that is a 1982 or 1983 toyota 4x4 pickup.I love to rock craw with my friends and some of my friends said that a 82-83 toyota 4x4 pickups are very good for rock crawing.(I found out that they have dana 44's in the front and rear) Is there any input on if I should part the old truck out and risk not find a other 82-83 toyota truck. Or should I spend the money to get the truck fixed? It needs transmission work,a ton of engine work the front axle needs new gears,needs new tires soon also. Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Mello

I am thinking about just parting out the truck.But I do not know if I could find a truck that is a 1982 or 1983 toyota 4x4 pickup.I love to rock craw with some of my friends and some of my friends said that a

82-83 toyota 4x4 pickups are good for rock crawing.(I found out that they have dana 44's in the front and rear) Is there any input on if I should part the old truck out and risk not find a other 82-83 toyota truck. Or should I spend the money to get the truck fixed? It needs transmission work,a ton of engine work the front axle needs new gears,needs new tires soon also. Thanks Jamie
Reply to
Jamie Mello

Yes, they perform about the same as the older jeeps.

(I found out that they have dana 44's in the front

Nope. They come from the factory with Toyta axles front and rear.

Is there any input on if I should part the truck out and

Only you can answer that question. You have to realize that you are dealing with a 25 year old vehicle. If you get rid of the one you have now the next one you find might be in worse shape. It may help if you think of the work as upgrades and not repairs. As an example it may be cheaper to find a better used transmission than to repair what you have. You said it needs new gears, that would be the perfect time to add a locker and gear it properly for the size tires you want to run.

You mention engine work also. What 25 year old vehicle won't need some engine work. Now is the perfect time for an engine rebuild. You can rebuild it to stocks specs or beef it up for a little more power. Engine swaps are also a popular option. Either way you go shouldn't have to worry about the engine again for a long time.

Any vehicle that old will cost some money to get it in shape. It may be cheaper to get a newer vehicle that has fewer problems, but it may be more fun to modify what you have.

Reply to
Mike

to modify what you have. well i've got a couple of nice toyota trucks running(given that one is now written off thanks to black ice and telephone poles but thats a different story. Personally what I would be worried about is picking up another truck that needs just as much work. Another way to look at it is that at least you know what problems this one has to deal with. If I were you I think I would be more inclined to getting an old junker with a good drive line so you'd have spare axles, and put the engine/tranny into it. The other thing is that if you did that you'd have an engine to rebuild yourself while still having a drivable truck.

As for regearing it really depends what you intend to do with it. If your planning on running it on the road often the big tires and such will just murder your fuel economy and attract police attention(around here anyway) which can lead to vehicle safety inspections and the likes. However if your planning on building a strictly offroad truck and don't have a bottom to your pockets then new gears and big tires are a great way to go. Just be prepared to deal with broken axles and other parts as they find that they are unable to cope with the much larger stresses.

As for a locker for crawling over things you just can't beat having a locker.

Reply to
Toshi38