Hats off: 03 Tacoma and BFG All Terrain T/A's

I took my date to a small beach this afternoon for a BBQ...about an 75 min drive from the city. One has to take a rocky road off the main highway down a hill for about 1/4 a km where then you reach a bend in the road that takes you to the sand. Around the bend it slopes, where there was an old concrete ramp eroded and the ground was also eroded from running water making foot deep trenches. With some winding and bending, I got my 2003 Tacoma 4x4 XtraCab 2.7L with BFGoodridge All Terrain 31 inchers, down on the sand. I could feel the truck sinking as we drive along, but 4-Low was doing the trick.

Now I was concerned with getting out of it. After the Q, I had a closer look. The beach sloped up to this road, with rocks 1/2 buried in the sand. The beach was had fine sand, small pebbly sand, then small beach rocks close to the water that waves had formed into a bank. I started my run in 1st, keeping speed, as I started the sandy slope, it bogged out. I reversed but it started to sink in the wave-formed bank, sliding closer to the sea! It took me a few minutes to work my way to level beach, where I stuck it in 2nd and gunned it along the shore, up the slope, hit the solid ground and then non-stop to safety. It was the worse snarl I have gotten myself into yet. I was figuring I have to call a tow-truck to get me out. It wasn't looking good for a few minutes lol My date was amazed I got us out LOL

I had left foot deep trenches in the sand, a normal height truck would have bogged out I am sure.

I have to think credit goes to not only my driving abilities lol but also the height of the Tacoma, the ruggedness of the truck, and those All Terrain tires. I love my truck now more than ever! LOL

Cheers

Reply to
Brad

Snips...

Snips...

The main punction of four-wheel drive, or so it seems, is to allow one to get stuck further from the pavement... :>))

TOM

-----------------

Reply to
TOM

You would have gotten out with a lot less drama if you followed Sand Driving Trick #1 - air down the tires to get a bigger contact patch.

10 PSI for normal sand, and if you are in serious danger of a stuck go down to 5 PSI. And remember to air them back up in town before you hit the freeway home.

I got a clapped-out Subaru Brat AWD on almost-bald street tires back from town into the overnight camping area at Pismo Beach - 5 1/2 miles of fine sand at high tide - mainly because I aired down, and driving balls-to-the-wall and always moving did the rest. Next time, I check the tide charts /before/ volunteering to make the firewood, beer and ice run in someone else's car...

And proper driving techniques are important, too - if you have any other options available do NOT stop where you know it's soft sand, or you will have a problem getting started again. Stopping on a soft sidehill with a cliff close-by is a very bad idea - if the car decides to slip sideways instead of starting to move forward when you get on the gas, you are in serious trouble...

And NEVER go out far off the beaten path alone. Have a second car available to pull you out if you get stuck, or go for help if you break down or someone gets hurt.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

I have a summary of sand driving tips on my page below:

Roger Brown