Headlights fogged

All this talk about driving lights has me thinking...

My '95 T-100 has foggy headlights. At first I thought they were hazed on the outside, but when I took some plexiglass polish to them, I realized that the hazing was on the INSIDE of the lens, below a very sharp and specific line in the plastic.

Has anyone else seen this? It very significantly reduces the light output of the headlights -- essentially I leave them on so other people can see me, not to cast any useable light.

Any ideas? New headlights are stupidly expensive, even on Ebay.

-- Jay Honeck Iowa City, IA '95 T-100 4x4

"Your Aviation Destination"

Reply to
Jay Honeck

I've seen head and taillights half full of water. Don't know about your model but if water can seep in past the top seal, with no way to run out faster (except the bulb socket), this might be your problem.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

I have never had to do this with headlights before, but have done it many times with tail lights. Simply drill two very very small holes in the lens. One in the top corner, and the other in the opposite lower corner. This will cause the lens to breathe and evaporate any water in it without any detriment to the bulb. Just remember, very small holes. Anything too large will have detrimental effects on the bulb. Its an easy process and can be done in less than 2 minutes with a good bit. Check to see first if your working with glass or a plexi of some sort to determine the bit type.

Jack

I've seen head and taillights half full of water. Don't know about your model but if water can seep in past the top seal, with no way to run out faster (except the bulb socket), this might be your problem.

dennis in nca

Reply to
JACK

Take the lamp out from the rear of the light assembly. May be a rubber/plastic gasket. turn lamp to remove. then you can get water or vapor out of light assembly. I am of course assuming that you have the newer light fixtures where the lamp it self is removable. This is pretty much standard in all newer models. Removing the entire fixture/light /lens assemble may be required to get the moisture/liquid out. reinstalling the unit and lamp, putting some lite oil on rubber seal will help prevent this happening again. This has worked for me in the past. Is a bit time consuming but effective.

Reply to
Frank

Thanks for the responses.

It doesn't appear to be fogging from moisture -- but hazing of the plexiglass.

I'll take it apart and have a closer look when the weather breaks -- probably next spring...

-- Jay Honeck Iowa City, IA

"Your Aviation Destination"

Reply to
Jay Honeck

Jay- I've had the same issue with my '96 T-100 SR5 Xcab 4x4, with

222,000 Minnesota miles (no rust). Easy fix on the passenger's side was hitting a deer, and having insurance replace the headlight on that side. Now it's quite a contrast, with the driver's side still very hazed - dull & yellow. I think my issue is on the outside. I would be very interested in what you used to try to polish the surface? Maybe after I clean the outside, I'll see it is also bad on the inside. I did pull out the bulb, with no sign of moisture. Regards, rangervig
Reply to
rangervig

Rangervig,

Take a look at the following link:

We used this product recently on a '97 Plymouth Voyager with some apparent success.

Upon further research, I found out that there are other kits available that use a powered buffer (electric drill with buffing pad) to polish the fogged up lenses. Sorry, I don't have any links. Someone else was supposed to follow up on that vehicle using the same product with a power buffer, but I haven't heard about the results yet.

Hope this helps.

Peter.

Jay- I've had the same issue with my '96 T-100 SR5 Xcab 4x4, with

222,000 Minnesota miles (no rust). Easy fix on the passenger's side was hitting a deer, and having insurance replace the headlight on that side. Now it's quite a contrast, with the driver's side still very hazed - dull & yellow. I think my issue is on the outside. I would be very interested in what you used to try to polish the surface? Maybe after I clean the outside, I'll see it is also bad on the inside. I did pull out the bulb, with no sign of moisture. Regards, rangervig
Reply to
Peter Bogiatzidis

Down further in the first page of the link you provided they suggest you can use their product called "Mother's PowerBall" which can be used with your power drill. Thanks.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger