Help: 2000 4Runner w/Check Engine Light

Friends, We have a 2000 4Runner w/100K miles. The "check engine" lamp came on.. we brought her to the dealer and he cleaned the Mass Air Flow Sensor, and said if it came back on we have to replace the device. He quoted $600 ... according to an MSN page, the cost should be $140 for the part and $60 labor. What sayest ye? Thanks! Harry NW Connecticut

Reply to
Harry White

Well, I've never seen a MAS go for $140, at least not from the dealers I've worked at. Those things are expensive as hell. Unless you feel like rolling the dice on an aftermarket sensor, if they even make one. As for the labor, you could do it yourself in your driveway with a phillips screwdriver. Of course, you'll have to get the light reset, and the dealer will probably not back the repair up if the light comes back on again in the future because you did it yourself. But I don't think MSN will come out and fix you car for you.

Reply to
qslim