Help! 86 Toyota Truck Stalled on a hot day while idling for 20 min

My 1986 Toyota Truck 22r engine with a Carburator had a problem yesterday and I would like you all to kick it around.

This truck has 180,000 miles on it.

Yesterday was a real hot day 110 degrees and I had just driven 40 miles on the freeway at 60 mph with the a/c on. When I got near my destination I pulled in to a fast food restaurant where I got stuck in line Idling my engine for 30 minutes with the A/C on. All of a sudden the engine just stopped. It would not start. Cranked and cranked but nothing. My gas gauge was registering below a quarter of a tank of gas.

I had to be towed home. When I got the truck home I shot some carb cleaner in the carb and the engine would start for a second and then die. I then tapped the carburator with small tool (thinking the float may be stuck) and shot a bunch of carb cleaner and put in a gallon of gas got the truck started.

Should I be worried that this will happen again shortly or was this likely caused by Idling, heat, gas tank not full enough, and maybe a stuck float etc.

Thanks for any input

Reply to
Fritz

In message , Fritz writes

Fuel tank breather problem?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Fritz found these unused words:

Sound like a vapor lock, possibly some water in the tank. When did you last purge, replace fuel filter, add a 'water remover'?

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

or fuel filter.

Reply to
someone

I'd say vapour lock or in-accurate fuel guage - but what kind of idiot idles a truck for half an hour with the AC on in 110F weather???? You are just BEGGING for trouble - not to mention the un-necessary polution - particularly with a carbureted 1986 vehicle.

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca found these unused words:

The kind that lives in Las Vegas ... usual thing to see them idling while waiting for drive up bank, food, dry cleaning, pharmacy ... etc!

Often see the engines in flames soon afterwards.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

idiots are people who run their caddies or benz with the ac going for 2 hours to keep fido cool while they have dinner.

Reply to
someone

the cvs by umc is a good spot to see the pillhead's cars boil over. we call it the charleston chew.

Reply to
someone

One thing I did not mention was that the whole time I was stuck in that line at fast food joint with now way out I was constantly monitoring my temp gauge and it never creeped passed the half way mark. In fact it was a bit below normal .

This morning I hopped in the old truck and it started up like a new vehicle.

Thanks for all the input, I think the idling in the heat did the truck in for that day. Won't do that again.

Reply to
Fritz

i get stuck in traffic in 110f heat for 30-90 minutes and my old supra stays cool and keeps me cool. i do keep the motor, cooling system and ac in great shape. i don't trust anyone else to charge the ac. i converted it and rebuilt it. first and only time but them supra's have a zillion support groups and i actually know how to take good advice. check the fuel filters anyway.....

Reply to
someone

snipped-for-privacy@some.domain ( snipped-for-privacy@some.domain) found these unused words:

Why do you think I retired and got the hades out of there? walking the dogs early in the AM I could look out over the little bluff rising up from Decatur to the west and see the brown layer!

When I first moved there my house was the last on on the western slope!

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

It has been at least ten years since I have changed that fuel filter and I have never purged the tank. Wouldn't even know how to. Wouldn't hurt to put in a new fuel filter.

Thanks

Reply to
Fritz

whn we were first there, the strip ended at del webb's. terrible was a bad idea and nobody wanted binion's on their feet. yes, the vegas shit stain is depressing, but i'm not in that town, i just go to laugh.

Reply to
someone

just toss a can of shit designed to make it burn.

Reply to
someone

IIRC that tank has a drain bolt. IF it isn't all rusted up,(FIRST, make sure the tank is at or below 1/4), have a new five gallon can of qas ready and open that bolt to drain it out.

You can actually filter out the gunk and water, with an old chamois, in the funnel as you pour that gas back... though, I would ONLY run it in a lawn mower...

I would change the fuel filter, which takes only about 3 minutes... When I had the same problem on my 1987 Toyota Pick up, it was a very dirty fuel filter.

Recently, on my 1993 Ford F-150, straight 6, I fueled up at a gas station that had the tanks filled recently, like 30 minutes before I filled up.

The sediment in the new gas at Murphy Gas totally clogged my one week old fuel filter, and I pulled out 8 ounces of fine sand, from the filter!

NEVER buy gas from any station which is getting gasoline, or has received gas in the past 2-3 hours!

Also, in my experience, some gas stations are too cheap to change out their clogged fuel supply filters, and could care less that you suffer a towing job, and expensive breakdown, mechanical repairs of your electric fuel pumps, filters, injectors, and engines.

I do know that Murphy Gas chain of stations really sucks!

Reply to
Big Red Truck