HELP! AC question.. 1979 toyota

I have a 1979 Toyota Pickup (20R). The AC system has been converted to 134 and works OK... but only OK. When the compressor is on, it blows very cool. But the problem is that the compressor FREQUENTLY cycles in and out. I tried adding additional freon, but it doesn't seem to help. Anybody have any ideas?

Reply to
The Radney's

That's true in most cases, but if your vehicle has been converted to use the newer 134A, don't switch back to the more expensive R12. Equally importantg, if your system is still using R12, don't simply switch to

134A, there are several things that need to be changed first...

This looks like a good place to look:

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 10:24:08 -0400, The Radney's seem to help. Anybody have any ideas?

Since it's so old it wouldn't hurt to try cleaning the coils. A clogged evaporator can make it seem low on refrigerant. I'm not a big fan of

134A. The R12 works better, and easier assuming you have access to the R12.
Reply to
chuck

R134a works well, but is less efficient than R12. This means that for systems with equal output, the R134a system would require a larger compressor, larger condenser, consume more hp, etc. When R134a is put into a system with R12 hardware, it can't refrigerate as well.

Too much refrigerant in a system will fill the condenser, prevent adequate cooling of the hot gas, and cause shutdowns on high head pressure. Too little will cause low return pressure and shutdowns on low suction pressure.

As said, clean up what you've got, then get an expert to get your system running as good as it can.

Ken

"The Radney's" seem to help. Anybody have any ideas?

Reply to
Ken Shelton