Help! Stuck in "Park"...

I have a 1989 Toyota X-Tra Cab, with a 6 cylinder and automatic transmission with the shifter on the steering column. It is stuck in "Park." I can start the truck fine, I put my foot on the brake and the shifter will not budge. I can't even pull it back, it's just completely stuck. I know the truck is equipped with a safety interlock system so I checked all the fuses, they're fine. The brake light switch works fine as do the brake lights and tail lights. I've taken the dash board apart and checked all electrical plugs, no problems that I can see.

I'm stumped, anyone have any ideas. I'd sure appreciate any suggestions. TC

Reply to
news.west.earthlink.net

I forgot to mention, this is not something that started gradually and would happen on occasion. It's a problem that completely came out of the blue. Thanks, TC

Reply to
news.west.earthlink.net

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 23:57:04 GMT, "news.west.earthlink.net" found these unused words floating about:

I thought at that time, the interlock was mechanical - check for an additional cable/bar on the tranny or shifter area.

Reply to
Sir F. A. Rien

If the truck has an interlock to make sure the brake is on before the truck can be shifted out of park, there is usually a manual override. Most are right next to the shifter and manually release the shifter. The owners manual will show you where it is if you have one.

I don't know what year they started putting on the brake interlock.

Good luck and keep the group informed on what the problem is.

Paul.

Reply to
Paul.

Look in your owners manual, it will show you were the shift lock overide is at.

Reply to
Mike