Help With Taking off Rear Bumper 86 Pick Up

I'm trying to unbolt the rear bumper on an 86 pick up. . The bolts have a round head and a small square right underneath the head.. One bolt keeps slipping out off the sqare hole when I try to loosen it. Ive WD40ed the bolt. The only thing I can think of is to try to cut the bolt off, but there is very limited room.

Reply to
issjoe

Issjoe,

From the sound of it that's a carriage bolt. If the square parts of both frame and bolt are intact and it's popping out of the hole because the nut is far enough along the shank to push it out from the nut side, you can wedge it into the hole. I might use a block of wood and a crowbar. A helper is a good idea as well.

If the hole in the frame or the square part of the bolt is rounded you'll likely have to drill it out from the head side and replace with a convetional hex bolt. Center punch the head and use a low drill speed to keep the bit from wandering, and use a wrench on the nut to keep the bolt from spinning if needed.

Reply to
Mike Harris

Oxy/acetylene works well too

Reply to
Noon-Air

Heh. Yeah, "blue wrench" fits all bolts.

By the question I was assuming that the OP was relatively inexperienced in removing problem fasteners and furthermore didn't have access to an Oxy/acetylene rig else he would have thought of that himself.

-- Mike Harris Austin TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

yup