Hood Latch Cable Broken

Help. I just tried to open the hood of my 99 tacoma and I found that the cable is broken. Does anyone know how to open the hood in this situation?? Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Steve K

It depends. If it broke down by the lever, you may be able to pull the cable with pliers. You will have to peel back the cable casing/jacket. If it broke out at the latch, that may be tuff.

--

Reply to
righty tighty

To tell where the cable broke, take apart the inside release handle and see how long the stranded steel cable inside the casing is. If the handle has the swaged ball and no cable at all, the broken end is probably sticking out the end of the casing right in front of you for a pliers pull. Buy and install a new hood release pull cable, and you're golden.

But if you pull on that ball swedge and six feet of cable comes out with a frayed end, forget that idea. You will have to work the latch itself. The easiest way to figure it out is to find someone else with the same model truck, open the hood and examine the latch assembly.

You may have to invent a special tool to pop the latch from underneath, for example a broomstick or length of 1x2 with a metal screw hook on the end that you fish for the latch release arm (the part the cable pulls) from under the car. If the hood latch is in front of the radiator, you may be able to hit it through the grille /if/ you can see how another latch works to make your tool.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman