horn no honk

have a '90 4runner V6, I believe the hazard lights and horn are on the same circuit. i checked the fuse, that's fine, but the horn is a no go. When I put the test leads from my multimeter onto the two connectors on the horn, I get a value of 1, which on my multimeter represents an infinite resistance. When I touch the 2 leads together, I have a value of 00.3 which I gather is pretty small. Anyway, does this tell me that the horn is toast?

Reply to
P Jenner

try unplugging the horn then have someone hold the horn button down while you plug the positive lead of the mulitmeter into each horn wire while the negative lead of the multimeter is connected to the body ground and see what ya get...

P Jenner wrote:

Reply to
Die Spammer !!!

"Die Spammer !!!" wrote

Umm, on the vast majority of vehicles the horn button provides the ground not the hot lead. In this case you would check for ~12v on the blue\white wire at the horn and resistance to ground on the green\red wire with the horn button pushed and the wire disconnected from the horn. The horn ground is the white\black wire that goes from the combination switch plug to the left side kick panel. Your ground connection may be loose or corroded. Also your horn button may not be making a good connection. To test the horn itself run a wire from the terminal that has the green\red wire to any convienent ground. Don't bump your head. Yes the hazard and horn are on the same 15 amp fuse

Reply to
Patrick R. Weaver

thanks for the advise guys!

Reply to
P Jenner

I've had two Toyota trucks so far and both have had the horns go out on them. My guess is the horn is dead. On both of mine, I heard their death wails on cold winter nights as they sat out in a parking lot honking out the last notes all on their own. Unfortunately, both were buried in a position that makes it tough to get there and unplug quickly in a cold parking lot with no tools and some wire yanking was required.

Chris

Reply to
Whitewall Junkie

Reply to
Howard Epstein

suspect there is a faulty ground somewhere, not getting any voltage through the connector to the horn

ROFL, like a dog howling over its dead master

mine is pretty straight forward, it's mounted just behind the front grill

Reply to
P Jenner

where exactly is that anyway? its on a '90 4runner v6. TIA

Reply to
P Jenner

Reply to
Paul