How do clutches fail? fast or slow?

I was told by my tech that my clutch is about 75% worn, during last work done. 1995 3.0 V6 w/ 135K on it. I do not tow anything and usually drive on road, very little off road. Usually very light loads like bicycle and camping gear. Should I expect my clutch to fail quickly and leave me stranded or will it be a slow death w/ increased slipping? Thanx for the BTDT. andy

Reply to
andy

"andy" sez:

A worn friction disk will start to slip and will give you notice that the end is near and slip in higher gears. If you push it at that point, it'll smoke itself fast. If his estimate is right, 135K/.75=180K so you have many miles left given your existing patterns. Plan ahead and put a new clutch on your "to do" list at a time of your choosing.

Good wrenchin' to ya, VLJ

Reply to
vlj

Andy Clutches are a personal thing. Learn to start gently, and they last. You're not doing bad for 135k. I drove a stick for 15 years in city traffic and I never thought much of it. I did my clutch at 190k or so at a planned maintenance point.

I'll bet you'll be fine.

Reply to
dirty rat 753

it's load and how you let the clutch out that wears away the frictions of the clutch.

if possible, replace with larger friction, but use oem pressure.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Reply to
andy

They always catch me by surprise (and when it is least convenient to fix it myself). By surprise, I mean I catch on when I have about 2 to 10 days of clutch left. The car gets that little (little?) slip when you start off, like an auto transmission before it locks up. But, it never has just failed instantly. I suppose you could do that if it was 10 days from death and you gave it to a teenager.

If you drive only that vehicle, it is a good idea to have someone else with a knowing foot to drive it once in awhile. I am sure that is my problem. I drive just one car, so as the clutch gets softer, I don't notice. I now check the slave piston position from time to time.

Jim

Reply to
James Andrus

Jim,

Please share with us, your procedure for checking the slave piston position.

Thanks,

Ken - West Union, SC Population 270 + 2 (counting dogs and chickens)

Reply to
RunnerBiker

Reply to
fatuous participant

A spring broke in mine and that was it. Right out in an intersection in rush hour traffic.

Reply to
Bill Davis

Load usually isn't a big factor. Once it grabs it shouldn't be slipping. It's how you shift and if you down shift with the clutch.

They usually die a slow death, but I have had one that flew apart and failed instantly. Don't push it too long or you could damage the flywheel with the rivets.

Reply to
MBOSCHERT

Same with mine! 79 4X4, first gear and low range w/hubs unlocked and about 10-15 mph got it home. :)

Reply to
kend

When it happened to mine I was pulling out of a gas station into traffic and it went "pop" and then the engine stalled. From that point on it was impossible to move. I could start it back up but when I let the clutch out it stalled immediately. And it wouldn't shift out of first gear.