How do i Install the Fog lights on my 2000 SR5 4runner

I just got the oem fog lights for my 4runner. I noticed a plug that matches the plug on my fog light that already exists down there. Do i have to run wires, or is it as simple as pluging in the two plugs. The kit came with wires but they don't match up, also what plug does the fog light button plug into behind the dash. Or do the fog lights just come on when you turn on the head lights?

Reply to
Mike

Stupid question here, but have you thought about the directions?

When I have installed OEM accessories, I found that they pack the stuff in the box that is needed for the accessory. If it's in the box, I'd put money on you having to install it.

The fog lights come on when the fog light switch is on AND (at least) the parking lights are on. If you install them correctly, the fog lights will go off when the High Beams are selected. In some states, it is ILLEGAL to drive with ONLY the fog lights (and parking lights). Fog lights are considered auxillary lighting and the main lighiting is required whether the aux lights are there or not. Fog lights should never be used with the high beams, but the high beams should never be used in fog, so it works out pretty well.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The box came with terrible directions. I just wanted to know what the fog light plugs down at the bumper where for, because when i plug the fog lights into them and turn the lights on the fog lights don't work. ill prolly end up getting a proffessional to install them, but wanted to do it myself so i don't waste all that money on the dealership.

Reply to
Mike

I don't know what the plugs you found are for, but if you simply plugged the lights into them and turned the system on, there is a good chance the lights will not come on because they MIGHT be grounded through the mounting hardware. If they are grounded this way (odds favor this, by the way), then they won't come on using the method you used. Repeat the same test, but use an aligator clip or equivelent and connect the base of the lamp assembly to some sort of metal that is not isolated by a rubber block.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Just a guess Mike but the plugs might not be "hot" until there is a switch in the circuit. I have a Highlander and it also has the plugs there but the switch for my year (02) is mounted on the end of the headlight stalk. So, needless to say I'll not fool with it, just bide my time til the 08's come out. Ron

Reply to
Ron