How's my mileage?

I've had my 5spd 96 4Runner (2.7litre 4cyl) for about four years and have kept up with the mileage (as well as doing regular oil and filter changes) on every gas stop since purchase back in late 1999. All but maybe 5 gas stops were not complete fills, so I'm pretty sure of the accuracy of the figures.

Got bored today so I figured I'd catch up and entered a year's worth of figures into my computer to see how she's been averaging... I notice this last year the mileage has gone down a tad. Not too alarming, but I'm wondering if it's possible that she's due for a tune up or if this is about normal for the age of the vehicle and the change in driving habits.

In 2000 we had 20.5 mpg avgerage (13K miles, 3K of it a cross country trip) 2001 22.83 (6600 miles, quite a few 100-300 mile jaunts) 2002 20.03 (8K miles, quite a few 100- 300 mile jaunts) 2003 19.61 (9500 miles, more of it being short trips under 10 minutes than prior years. New tires in Feb, no size difference, old tires had good tread.)

Plugs are probably 2 years old or older, definitely due for a change. Should I be jumping for joy at my figures or getting concerned by the reduction in fuel economy? Anything I need to watch for now that she's hit

80K (aside from what the manual states)? I've never sent oil in for testing (not even sure how to go about doing that) but all her changes have been fairly trouble free, no leaks, no gritty oil, nothing that would suggest trouble. Getting concerned about greasing things underneath, not sure if I want to take it to a lube shop or just buy a grease gun and grease (is it worth it?) Also kind of wondering how long the O2 sensors will hold up, etc. The reason for concern: this year my hubby will be away a lot (military) and I don't want to be surprised by anything that I can study up on in advance. If I can get things changed out before he goes, great. If not, at least I'll be prepared. We're both DIYers - I'm still learning while he can pretty much fix anything (not just cars) as long as it's fixable. I wanted to ask folks who are more knowledgeable on Toys specifically, rather than go on general knowledge. TIA
Reply to
Pookerz

Gas mileage sounds good... those short trips add up and do cause mpg to go down a small bit, but yours is only 1/2 mpg. Nothing to be concerned about. Definitely pick up a grease gun and hit all those zerk fittings every time you change the oil. Change the spark plugs, just go with stock replacements. I have never had any luck with all those platnium and other fancy ones. Air filter is obvious, keep it clean. What weight oil do you use? A 0w-30 or 5w-30 synthetic may help get an extra mpg... No worries with switching to a synthetic at 80k, you will be fine. If you are interested in gettting an oil analysis, check out

have used their services before and they are quick and accurate. They willsend you a free test kit with everything you need to send a sample in.Be sure to keep your tires inflated. My Tacoma mauual says 26 psi, which Ican't stand. Way too spongy. I keep them at 36 front and 32 rear.Underinflated tires will drop your mpg too.The best way to tell when you O2 sensor goes bad is that your mpg willreally take a drop, down to like 15 mpg or worse, yet the vehicle will runfine and you will never know the difference. Obviously right now they arefine, so you might as well wait it out for a bit, since they are not cheap.A great maintenance item to do when you change the oil and plugs is to use acombustion chamber cleaner. I like the Mopar brand that Dodge, Chrysler,etc. sell at their parts dept. This is the best time because this stuff willtrash the oil and sometimes fouls up a plug or two.Basically you warm up the car, spray the whole can directly into thethrottle body. Then turn off the engine and let it sit for a couple hours.When you re-start, it will be rough and die a few times on you. Rev theengine up and be amazed by the huge nasty cloud coming out of your vehicle.You will probably get a check engine light, which will come on because of amis-fire condition, which is perfectly normal with this stuff. Take a runaround the block a few times, accelerate hard to get it out of the engine,until its running smooth. When you get back home, disconnect the batterycable to reset the check engine light while you go about changing the oiland spark plugs.

Reply to
dave89144

My 96 V-6 gets only 10-13 in the city dealer said "Thats normal".

Reply to
Tbas11048

Reply to
Mavcusv2

We keep the tires aired to specs, and check them any time we do more than a short trip in town. Never used anything more than stock plugs, they've never let me down (and we know all about checking the gap, etc.) I think I'll be replacing the plug wires this year since the distributor cap's a little corroded inside (cleaned up ok and works fine now, but no telling for how long.) I use 10w30 dino juice. I'm keen on the 'natural' stuff over synthetic, cost being the main issue. My parents had a Ford escort go a good 350K on synthetic (and farther if it weren't for an exhaust manifold leak, it's currently parked.) So I do know the pros and cons of the different types of oil (as much as it's on the forums, I'd like to avoid discussing it further, LOL.) I'm figuring the oil to be the proper weight for our climate- very hot dry summers (triple digit temps) and wet, foggy winters that don't go much below freezing. Air filter's a K&N, we keep an eye on it with the dry dusty conditions. Don't need a lecture on their usefulness, it's already purchased and in use- no troubles with it and we've gotten our money's worth so far. ;) On the combustion chamber cleaner... is that really neccessary with a well maintained vehicle (especially a Toyota)? To me that just sounds like overkill. I was going thru the manual and there's a lot of repairs and maintenance that sound more obsessive than necessary, like adjusting the pedal height every 12 months/15K miles and steering wheel free play every 6 months. Are there really any practical people out there that are *that* nitpicky with their car upkeep? I'm pretty picky myself (my engine bay has to be clean, even if the truck's exterior and interior are filthy) but I'm not out there measuring things with a ruler or volt meter every 6 months. I would genuinely like to keep it in top shape though, I plan for this to be my 'first and last' vehicle (hey, it could outlive me!) or keep it till it rots and rusts away.

Reply to
Pookerz

I'd say don't worry about it yet. Your range is only 3.2 (15% of the average). that's not too bad. Winter/summer differences affect my milage by 10% or so. Plus you say there are a number of short trips in the last year that you didn't have earlier. That could easily account for the small (2%) drop last year. The yearly average is covering a big chunk of the information. I'd make a plot of milage vs date for each fill-up. From there your eye will tell you if there's been a constant decline over time or if you normally get a good milage and that the tanks with the short trips are just eating into your average. You should be able to see any trends with your eye (if there really are any).

mike

Reply to
Mike Deskevich