how to tell if u have carbon

how can u tel if your engine has a lot of carbon on the pistons and the valves wht can you buy to put into help remove it

BAIN15

Reply to
dan baker

If car runs on after being turned off when its been run for some time (and is real hot). BG Products has a device that cleans the combustion chambers - advertised by Pat Goss all the time.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Why not just run good gas, and keep a clean air filter in it???

Reply to
Noon-Air

Its not caused by cheap gas or a dirty filter - its more likely engine wear or just normal engine tollerances. Unless its excessive (and then you probably need a rebuild anyhow) I'm not sure its worth the money. In my youth the solution was to take it out on the highway and blow the carbon out --- the potential ticket could outweight the cost of BG service though.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I normally did this with a tankfull of hi-test gasohol (Amoco 95 octane) with an extra gallon of methanol thrown in for good measure :-)

Reply to
Noon-Air

Pre-cataylic converter days, we'd run a little ATF through the carb and let it kill the engine. After letting it sit overnight, we'd clean the plugs (usually) then start it up. Lots of smoke from the softened carbon and ATF. There was also a product called Marvel Mystery Oil, an upper cylinder lubricant.

TOM

Engine compression test.

Proper maintenance.

Reply to
Danny G.

Sea Foam available at most auto parts stores. Use as directed and don't worry about the black smoke you may see for a while.

Reply to
IBNFSHN

Seconding the Sea Foam. You won't believe the volume of stuff you blow out your exhaust with one can.

-Will

IBNFSHN wrote:

Reply to
Will

Have heard so much about this stuff, does anyone know if it is available in Australia? or perhaps it is marketed as something else here?

TIA

Reply to
Justin