howling timing belt

I posted this inside another long post a while back but it got lost in the fray so I'll start another quick thread...

I recently replaced the timing belt and now it "howls" or "whines" or makes other sad canine type sounds. Not terribly loud but definitely there and a little louder once the engine is warm.

Could I have gotten the belt on too tight? Perhaps gotten it on backwards? If so how do you tell which way is the correct rotation on the belt (I couldn't see any visible arrows or such)?

Thanks folks!

Joa '90 3.0L 4Runner w/ 234k

Reply to
Joa

My guess would be the water pump: when the belt is too tight, the pulley puts uneven stress on the water pump bearings, and it tends to make a lot of noise.

Easiest to test, of course. And can cause permanent damage if too tight for too long.

If you put in a new water pump, could be the water pump bearings as well; a pint of 'water pump lube' can help there.

good luck! GTr

Reply to
gregory trimper

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Joa being of bellicose mind posted:

Belt tension is too much.

Reply to
Philip ®

sounds to me like youve just overtightened the belt....this will indeed cause the belt to whine...the tension has to be just right...too slack and it may jump...too tight and...well apart from extra stress on the belt, it will whine...i would also reccomend another new belt if this one has been run overtightened...trust me on this...while you have the belt off, wouldnt hurt to check any movement in the water pump bearings too....

Reply to
steve