Hub and disc assy doesnt go back far enough

I am in dire need of assistance as I have changed my bearings and repacked the hub with grease and trying to install the disc assembley back onto the stub axle, but it seems as though it is not going back far enough to allow the calipers to fit on.

The car is a FJ40 Landcruiser 1976 and I am installing a FJ60 disc brake assembley and swivel hub.

I have measured the bearings, they are the same sizes (as the old ones), I have checked the gaskets between the swivel hub and rotor backing plate - but, it seems to need to go back about 5mm for the calipers to line up correctly.... the only thing I can think of is maybe putting it all on the car and just tightening the hell out of the locking nut in the hope that it will compress the seals or something....??

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated - thanks very much in advance...

Wortho.

Reply to
wortho

Wortho, I don't know how to solve your problem but, I'd say you shouldn't have to tighten that hard in order to pull the assembly up. This could be correct but I'd find out for sure before trying this as you could damage internal components. HTH, davidj92

Reply to
davidj92

Just to clarify this. Your saying you took these parts apart and repacked the bearings and now they will not go back together OR You are trying to put FJ60 rotors onto an FJ40 and they are not fitting. Very different things there. IF the parts were working together before and you took them apart and now they won't go back together I would say you have an internal problem in the hub. If you are trying to fit parts that were not originally together they may not fit.

Reply to
Steve W.

Reply to
Mike Walsh

some bearings are the same, but come with different thickness races. I did this on the ford fs bronco and had to go back to the store and get the bearings with thinner races. the part # was 1 number different, but the races were thicker. old john

Reply to
<ajeeperman

5 mm is not normal. You have something cocked, incorrectly installed, or of the wrong size. Don't try to force it on. Find out why it isn't slipping into place.
Reply to
HLS

it seems to need to go back about 5mm for the calipers to line up

Try using 79-84 solid axle truck parts instead of FJ60 parts. Thats the accepted method.

This site has lots of info that I refer to often:

Lcnut

Reply to
lcnut