I need a miracle - Or an expert? Starter problem....

Okay, I need some serious help here. I am hoping someone has bunches of experience with Toyota starter problems, because the whole situation is beyond me.

I had some starter problems about a month ago. The toy started doing that all too familiar "click" noise when I turned it over. At first I thought the problem might be battery cables, so I replaced those. When that didn't work, I replaced the starter. Once we got that in, it fired right up and I haven't had any problems until last night. Trucks been working great, but last night I stopped to get gas and when I went to leave it wouldn't start again, just started making the "click" noise again when I tried to turn her over.

This morning I went out and rigged up some jumper cables to see if I had a ground problem. I also tried to connect a positive cable directly up to the starter, nuttin. Everything is hooked up and connected, its not a ground problem, so I am completely stumped. The truck will jump start when I pop clutch. The clicking noise is coming from a starter relay that is located on the firewall. I had always thought the relay was on the starter, but this has a little metal box about the size of a raisin box that says "starter relay" right on the side. I called Toyota and they laughed at me and said there was no such thing.

Anybody wanna save me? Could this be an ignition problem, and what about this mysterious relay???

Thanks in advance.

Lisa, Colorado

Reply to
LisalouLiLRed

The relay is present is you have either a 5-speed tranny w/ clutch cancel switch or an automatic w/ neutral start swtich. Likely you are hearing the relay click because the starter, that would normally mask the sound of the relay, is not turning over (and in the silence you can hear the relay clicking - and this means the relay is working, at least the coil is, maybe the contacts inside are pitted, but that would be the last thing I would check). Check the voltage at the starter solenoid control wire (the small wire, not the big one) when you try to start it. If its way less than 12V, then the relay may be a problem. If its near to 12V, then check the contacts inside the starter solenoid (this part is attached to the starter) and see what they look like, Most common place for Toyota (Denso) starters to fail at and luckily its an easy and inexpensive repair:

Roger Brown

switch or an automatic w/ neutral start swtich. Likely you are hearing the relay click because the starter, that would normally mask the sound of the relay, is not turning over

relay is working, at least the coil is, maybe the contacts inside are pitted, but that would be the last thing I would check). Check the voltage at the starter solenoid control wire

less than 12V, then the relay may be a problem. If its near to 12V, then check the contacts inside the starter solenoid (this part is attached to the starter) and see what they look

luckily its an easy and inexpensive repair:

Reply to
Wolfgang

I'll second that! Replaced 3 alternators within 6 months on daughter's car before I finally got mad enough to go to the junkyard and get one for 20 bucks vs the 160 for the "lifetime" rebuild.

2 years later still going strong. I never buy starters or alternators from parts jobbers any more. Mark
Reply to
pheasant

Hey Rog, you have a definite gift for documenting your projects! I always start my projects with the intention of photographing everything as I go and making notes, but it never seems to happen (my helpers always have short attention spans and my hands are always filthy)... I'll end up with a photo of the beginning -- before anything was removed... and one of the end -- with the new parts installed, but it's hard to tell by looking at the picture..

Reply to
Celica Dude

Went into a local parts house here with the alternator from my '74 Dart (this was the third "reman" one)... I had just driven up there in the

90-degree+ heat. I had removed the alternator in the parking lot and quickly set it in the box (which i kept in the car). Set the thing on the counter and at the same time told the guy "WATCH OUT, IT IS HOT AS HELL".. So, he opens the box, picks up the box (and he's a big guy) so he inverts the box and drops the alternator out of the box and into his other hand. "OWWWWW THAT $HIT is HOTTTT".. He dropped it back into the box with a nice THUD onto the counter.

It was worth the trouble to see that happen! :o)

Beautifully stated.

Reply to
Celica Dude

Ok Guys, An update! I took to heart the things you guys said and did a little investigative work. I got the maintenance guy in my apartment complex to charge up my battery for me to make sure it wasn't a battery problem, since I don't carry around a voltage meter everywhere I go. My purse isn't that big. Anyway, it wasn't a battery problem. I took a piece of wire and touched it to the positive cable and directly to the starter...and nothing happened. That's when I decided I should take the starter back to where I got it to have it tested and ultimately replaced.

WELL...it was the starter! I bought a brand new Autolite starter, too! No rebuilds. So I got it replaced no cost no haggle. Hopefully I don't have anymore problems...

But here's another question...could my truck be frying these starters? I guess if the third starter goes out, ill know somethins up! However, the original starter, the first one I replaced, had been in that truck for at least 10 years, so I sort of doubt it.

Anyway, thank all of you for your help! I appreciate it!

Lisa, Colorado

Reply to
LisalouLiLRed

Could have saved a bunch of money repairing the existing starter (assuming it was the stock Denso unit) than a new one, but at least w/ new, you have the option of repairing it to put in when the "new" one dies. I would check the voltage at the starter solenoid connection when starting to see if its good and strong. You may have a marginal relay or corroded wires running to the solenoid and if the voltage and current to it is "weak", it won't make good contact and this will cause the contacts to arc and burn over time, wearing them out faster than normal.

Reply to
Roger Brown

Be sure you have a good ground going from the battery to the engine block. Grounds are the most overlooked connections in electrical circuits.

Reply to
WRH