Idle Problem

The truck is a 2002 Tacoma V-6 w/ 5-speed manual. Recently I have noticed that as I am coming to a stop for a stop sign or traffic light the idle RPM jumps up to about 1800. The clutch is pressed in, so there is no load on the engine. The engine RPM remains elevated until the vehicle comes to a complete stop. The RPM then drops to about 800. This is so repeatable, that it almost seems like there is a wheel speed sensor telling the engine the vehicle has come to a stop (maybe there is?!).

I did not notice this problem during the colder months. The hot weather (SW Ohio) the past couple of weeks has aggravated the problem. It also seems more pronounced with the A/C operating.

Aside from the report possibility of an engine controller problem based on wheel speed, I am thinking maybe some sort of vacuum problem. If this were a carbureted engine I would think a float had a pin hole leak and had gas sloshing around in it. But obviously this thing is EFI.

Anyone hear of this sort of problem? Any ideas what to look for?

Thanks!

Don

Reply to
Don