Idler arm removal

I have a 90 toy 4x4, I am replacing the idler arm bushings in the housing. I have been attempting to get the idler arm off of the steering arm without success. I have used a pickle bar and hammer with lots of lubrication to the tie rod end again without success. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also, has anyone replaced the bushings in the idler arm housing?

Thanks, JMach

Reply to
JMach

I find the judicious application of the "hot wrench" (propane torch) helps quite a bit, heat from the threaded side of the stud just until the grease on the booted end starts to smoke. Also applying some paraffin wax to the joint while its hot will pull the wax in and help as well. Here's my writeup on a different task but similar procedure:

Roger Brown

quite a bit, heat from the threaded side of the stud just until the grease on the booted end starts to smoke. Also applying some paraffin wax to the joint while its hot will pull

similar procedure:

JMach