Improve handling on 2001 Tacoma 4x4

Hello,

I have a Tacoma 4x4 2001, with about 35,000 miles on it with the TRD option.

I have some issues with the handling and was wondering how to improve it. In particular, on the highway, it seems to have a scary tendency to bounce around a lot at high speeds.

What are my options? I have scanned this group, and one seems to be to get new tires but I don't know which ones to get. Right now I have the BF Goodrich tires that came with it.

Another possible option seemed to be to get a snugtop and literally put some cinder blocks in there to weigh the thing down more. Is this looney or a good idea?

Thanks.

silikon2

This doesn't address the weight & bouncing issue, but sometimes it's a bunch of little things which, added together, make a big difference. Recently, someone posted a question here about the tendency of these trucks to wander a bit at highway speeds. If I recall correctly, the solution was to make sure that during wheel alignment, the technician adjusted as close as possible to dead center of the allowable range, instead of simply "within the range". In other words, if the range was 1 through 10, then 2 was not good enough - it had to be 5-ish.

As far as tires, I have Nokian WR tires on mine. I inflate to 35 lbs cold pressure. No bouncing around, unless I'm on a road that's hideous.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:02:08 GMT, "Doug Kanter" found these unused words floating about:

Completely agree with the alignment !!! On the original tires, for me, 33# cold seems to give a sure and smooth ride. Just got back from 1400 mi running I-5 North to South and over to Vegas. Easy drive - 22.5 mpg at 70 (ish).

Reply to
J. A. Mc.

I own a 03 tacoma ex-cab TRD. I posted this same problem about 3 or 4 months ago on this forum. Seems like alot of ppl have this problem on the 00 thru 04 models. You can Google "Does anyone else have a problem with steering/handling the tacoma." Some poster said the specs are to wide on the tacoma and tundra. He gave a web addy on how to correct it. I don't remember but I think it's tundrasolutions.

Reply to
Brian

A set of Michelin M-S tires made a big difference here, along with retail Bilsteins. The OEM tires are crap, very soft in the sidewalls.

Reply to
Dan G

1) Air up the tires. 2) Align to the exact mid-point for camber and toe-in spec, and the max for caster. 3) Better tires. 4) Hellwig rear antisway bar

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Someone mentioned a good alignment, and making sure that the settings are biased toward the good handling side - you do need a little toe-in and caster to keep it stable. If they have it set too close to zero, it can be "within specs" and still be the problem

Good idea, and it will also help with the ride of the vehicle - the springs are set to handle a full load, totally empty is too light and it rides like a brick.

Though I wouldn't use concrete blocks - bagged sand is better if you just want portable weight. Plus, it's great to have and spread as a traction aid if you get stuck on a patch of ice.

Bagged beach pebbles are good if you don't want to chance loose sand getting into things, or the sharp corners of crushed gravel wrecking the paint.

Or just put a shell or tonneau cover on the bed, and the natural accumulation of "stuff" inside (ice chest, golf clubs, bowling ball, toolbox...) will handle your ballast weight needs nicely.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

What tires did yours come with? Some BF Goodrich off-roaders? That's what I had - they were scary in snow (and I'm VERY good at driving in snow).

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Off the original subject, but if you eventually begin shopping for tonneau covers, take a look at this:

I got one two years ago and I love it. My only problem is that I lost a little storage height within the bed, because of the reinforcing ribs of the cover. So some stuff doesn't fit. The cover itself has been fine, though. No leakage, very solid. Around $600 if I recall.

Reply to
Doug Kanter