In Dash MP3 Player for Tundra?

My 2000 Tundra came with an in-dash AM/FM, Cassette, CD player. I know it's not considered to be a great system but since I primarily use it for talk radio and playing books on CDs when I travel, it works just fine for me.

I'd like something that plays CDs with MP3 files. I tried the portable MP3 players that an adapter that goes in the cassette drive but it's too much of a hassle because it's not in front of me where I can get to it easily and deal with while driving - file info window and control buttons are too small unless I put reading glasses on. For similar reasons I'm not interested in a 12volt boom box with MP3 player or IPOD type things.

What I'd like to find is a good quality (doesn't need to be concert quality) in-dash system, similar to the one I have now that will fit with a minimum of alterations, that has AM/FM, a cassette player and a CD payer that will play regular CDs and MP3s Some of my books on CDs take as many as 25 CDs and the idea of having an entire book (or more than one book) on the same CD as MP3 files is very appealing and would simplify my life. I

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

TIA,

Skip

Reply to
Skip

My wife and I have both been very pleased with the pair of AIWA CDC-MP32 CD/MP3/Reciever head units I got from Crutchfield two years ago. They are reliable and tough (hers is in a different car because the one it was in first was totalled in a collision: one of the collar trim tabs broke but the unit kept on keepin' on.) They work well, they have good sound, enough gee-whiz features to be fun but not so many you can't work the darn thing, and a really nice little steering-wheel remote. That particular model's not available new, but lots of nice AIWA CD/MP3 players on eBay. Or you can check

and see if anything appeals to you.

Whatever you get, be sure it can display MP3 tags (so you can find your stuff easy) and that it has a steering wheel remote. That remote is a necessity when you're dealing with a disk with more than twenty albums on it: you don't want to take your eyes off the road and your hand off the wheel long enough to navigate around the disc. Also, you may need a dash DIN adapter (Crutchfield throws one in free, along with mounting instructions and a wiring harness adapter, when you buy a head unit from them.) You can get 'em from Pep Boys or AutoZone. You may have to shave the upper interior corners to get it in if the Tundra has the same dash config as the Tacoma (I did) but it's no big deal if you're careful.

Dreamer

Reply to
Skip

Dreamer,

I just put >

Reply to
Chris

Cheers, - Jeff G

Reply to
Bubba Kahuna

Seconded. Go to

to do some research, and buy it somewhere else if $ is an issue. they have all kinds of players. I bought one, a jensen I think, with 2 speakers on special for $130US asa present for me dear ol' ma.

Check thought the outlet, special and scratch and dent sections.on thier site as well.

Reply to
TF

Eclipse, IIRC, is a high-end system. Does it have skip protection? (This is sometimes called buffer or read-ahead.) If it does, either it's not working properly or there's something wrong with your discs. If it doesn't, it's most likely being caused by vibration. My AIWA's biggest failing is that it doesn't have skip protection and bumps often cause the music to skip. It's unpredictable: sometimes huge bumps have no effect, sometimes tiny little bumps cause a skip.

Things to check:

1) Do you encounter the problem with prerecorded CD's? If so, it's your player or the environment. If not, try a different brand of CD-R, burn at a lower speed, or convert at a higher bitrate.

2) Is your head unit secured well in the dash? All screws down tight and even? (They must have approximately even tension or even if they're all "tight" you still might get excessive vibration.) If you can, use the rear anchor screw. I can't on mine, noplace to anchor and no way to access it, but it's a good idea if you can manage it.

3) It's possible, although unlikely, that the power to the unit is experiencing intermittent failure. Is the display fading or blinking when the music skips? Do the speakers pop? Does it happen when you hit the brakes or do something that causes a power drop? You might check all the connections. D
Reply to
Dreamer

Reply to
Chris