Inner CV Boot

Does anyone know where I can get a "split" inner CV boot for a 1995 4Runner?

Reply to
Jim Smith

Did you happen to ask ANY of your local auto parts stores? Even one?

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

That should be a common part. Ask you local parts store.

Having said that, the split-type boots are shit. Why would you want one, other than you are planning to dump your truck on an unsuspecting soul.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Every one that was opened yesterday. What do you think, I'm a moron?

Reply to
Jim Smith

I need it to pass my state inspection, so I can get it on the road. After that, I can pull the axle and do it right. However I only have 15 days to get it on the road with the temp tags I now have.

I can get the outer boot, but no one locally has one. That's why I asked for help here, but it seems like all I get is a few morons thinking they know the obvious. If I could have gotten it locally, I would have.

Reply to
Jim Smith

The way you asked, it sounded a lot like, "I'm not sure what this is, do you know where to get one?"

Sorry if I sounded a bit condescending, but given your question, the only answer was to check with the guys on the corner.

Since you seem to know exactly what it is, No, I don't know where you can get one, besides the guy on the corner. If they haven't got one in stock, they can usually get them in a day or two. If anybody here had one, surely it would cost more just for the 2nd-day FedEx than the parts store will charge.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I'm quite certain that I saw a generic split boot in a J. C. Whitney catalog within the past year. I believe Autozone has them, or at least the on-line catalog does. See the following link. Good luck. Al

al

The boot at Autozone isn't large enough. I need a 4 inch wide boot and all of the universal boots that I have found are too small. I'm still looking and hope to find one locally, but I'm not too hopeful. Seems like I can't find a split boot for the inner. I've been to web pages and shop all around the local area and can't find a split boot made for the 4Runner. I've got a line on a Dorman boot that will work, but not an exact match.

I don't know if this was a local thing, but it seems like there aren't any available. We'll see.

Thanks for the heads up.

Reply to
Jim Smith

I am assuming that your in Kalifornia..... and that there is a boot on one side but not the other?? Try this on for size.... being as the folks in the inspection stations are not too bright, continue your search for TWO new boots. Remove the other one and do the smog check with no boots. It will probably go through with no problems. Consider... if they see only one, they want to know where the other one went... if they don't see any.....duh, ok.....PASS

I still have yet to figure our what CV joint dust boots have to do with engine emissions.

Noon-Air

Not emissions, vehicle state inspection. We have to do this in order to get tags and registration when you want to put a vehicle on the road. I just bought the 4Runner, replaced the engine, got most of the vehicle ready for the inspection, but can only find the regular boot. Maybe I'll just tear the axle apart and do it the right way.

Jim Smith

Sounds like you might as well replace the axle shaft with a quality remanufactured one and be done with it. If you can't find the right size split boot and have to pull the axle shaft anyway, you're ahead to replace the whole thing. A good reman is often reasonably priced. Good luck. Al

Reply to
al

Firget all the hasle and just yank the old one and put in a fresh one. Its not a REAL hard job but it is time consuming.

-SP

Jim Smith wrote:

Reply to
Speedy Pete

That works fine, except for the cost. A boot costs what, $20? The shaft runs to 10 times that.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Either your math is bad or you dont know how to find parts on the 'net. $70 for a shaft at Autozone. MUCH less than $200

-SP

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Reply to
Speedy Pete

I've bought half shafts for my Hondas that ran to just under $200 from AutoZone. I assumed -- wrongly, apparently -- that half shaftsd for Toyotas would cost a similar amount. If one can get a half shaft for $70, then by all means go that way.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I replaced a half shaft on a '97 accord last year. cost of the shaft was $60 exchange from Advanced Auto Parts.

What Honda requires a $200 reman shaft?

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

I haven't done the job for about 10 years now, but I had an '82 Accord and an '86 Accord. I recall that both of these had parts costs of approaching $400 for both shafts. Perhaps my memory is fuzzy ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Perhaps. I had and '82 accord and currently have a '90 and '97. Changed shafts on all of them. no $200 shafts all in $60 range.

Current autozone price for '82 and '86 is $60-65.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Does this state also check for a leaking oil pan gaskets, how about grunge around the power steering pump cap? oh.. and what about those nasty dirty valve covers? I feel so much safer knowing that all the cars around me have good CV boots. Where does this stuff come from? States that get it are the ones that have determined that accidents are rarely caused by the things they check at state inspections and therefore don't require inspections. And if we are interested in protecting the environment, boy I'm glad someone is eradicating all those horrible cracked CV boots.

John

JohnC

My '93 Runner had a cracked boot and I got an entire axle with CV joints from Advance Auto for about $75 plus core. It was an easy replacement and took about an hour. Hardest thing was loosening the lower ball joint so I could swing the spindle out enought to get the axle shaft in. If you go this way be sure an use a wheel puller and not a pickle fork on your ball joints/tie rods.

Bubba

Reply to
Bubba