Installing a tachometer (RPM meter) in an '85 Pickup / not SR5???

I have a 1985, 1/2 ton, standard bed, 4wd, toyota pickup. It has a

22r engine, carburated but it doesn't have the SR5 gauges. I do a fair bit of off roading and so I often drive in first gear and slip the clutch. I think it would be good to know what rpm i am at. Does any one know what is required to install a tachometer? Is it something that is already wired for and i can just plug one in or is it more complicated than that? Would it be a good idea or even a possibilty to get an instrument panel from an SR5 vehicle from the junkyard with a tach in it and install that? should i just go aftermarket?

Thanks, Anders

Reply to
Wolfgang

Just grab a cluster out of an SR5, 4-cyl engine, similar to your vehicle and be sure to grab the oil pressure sender off the donor as well, you'll need it for the new cluster to swap out your existing idiot light sender.

Reply to
Roger Brown