Installing after-market tachometer on 22-RE '88 PU engine (fuel injected, 4x4, 4 cyl 2.4 liter)

Hey, I've been wondering how to hook up a tachometer to my truck-- it does not have one in the dash, and would be useful especially with the diagnosing of some problems I have.

I'll probably just end up buying one from Auto Zone or NAPA or something. Where do they hook in that measures the RPMs? Do they require power? Thanks

Reply to
Shinnokxz

When you goto install your tach, there will be 4 or 5 wires. One of those wires will be green for sure. They will tell you to hook it up to a tachometer source. The only placec you can hook that up to is the negative terminal on you coil. You have a positive and a negative and then the output for the distributor. The NEGATIVE terminal is where you hook it up. All of the other wires should be specified with the directions. (power, ground, acc., etc.)

Good luck and keep us posted.

Dave

Reply to
D GsKi

Why not just swap out you gauge panel for one that has the tach? The SR5 version had the gauge package with tach. You will also need a new oil pressure sensor for the oil pressure gauge to work. You can find them at junkyards or on ebay for $.20-50. Swap is easy especially if you make sure it comes from a 4 cyl and not the 6.

Reply to
Wolfgang