Intermittent starting problem with 2002 Tacoma 4x4 V6

Cold or warm, sometimes when I start my new Tacoma with 72k (automatic) on it it will turn over, start, and immediately die with RPMs that will reach about 1k and then plummet till death. This all happens in a second or two. Giving it some gas immediately (revving to about 2K RPMs) after it turns over and sounds like it starts will, for the most part, cause it to idle correctly afterwards. However there have been a few times when that isn't the case either. Once it starts and idle correctly, it runs like a dream and without problem, never dieing or fussing at idle/acceleration.

Under the hood is extremely clean and nothing seems loose or in poor condition as far as vacuum/wiring goes. The engine does have a K&N air filter system for the intake. I cleaned and re-oiled the filter but that did nothing. Is there anything I can check on the assembly that may be loose or faulty? Where are some key vacuum points that I can check? Interestingly, I do believe this aftermarket system may be at fault somewhere. When giving the engine gas you can hear a very distinct 'sucking' noise coming from the air filter/associated systems under normal operation. I do not hear this 'sucking' sound when this problem comes up.

The filter, before I reoiled it, wasn't in the best shape when I bought it (and admittedly I had done some offroading in some pretty dusty areas). Is it possible some dust could have gotten past the filter and into the system? If this is the case what measures should I do to insure that everything gets checked and cleaned out? I tested out the vehicle quite extensively before buying it and it never had this issue during that situation, which is why I believe my ladder speculation may be the case.

I've researched this a bit on this newsgroup and, for the most part, have found a lot of varying answers. I tried describing my situation as best as I could so hopefully I can get some 'Yota gurus to take a few moments and help out a mechanical novice (with a Haynes manual). Thanks for your help and time : )

Reply to
Shinnokxz