Just bought 1990 22R pickup... few questions

Hi folks...

I bought a 90 SE pickup, 22R 5-spd, ExCab, short box 2WD... had it for about a month now and have a few questions I'd like to spring off the board.

(1) Synthetic Oil Everything checked out mechanically but the engine is fairly high mileage (314,000km on purchase, now about 317,000km)... I was thinking of switching to a good synthetic on the next oil change (soon)... thoughts/recommendations?

(2) Tranny whine Although the mechanic had nothing to say about it, I find the tranny to be quite noisy, lots of whine... otherwise, seems to work just fine... is there something cheap I can do about it, like switching tranny fluid or something?

(3) Sliding rear window The latch for the window is busted and the window won't stay closed... can I replace the latch or should I just get the whole window replaced? Easy job?

So far, I'm just loving this truck! The 2.4L has plenty of power for my usage and gets fantastic fuel consumption. The cab's got enough room for me, my 4-yr old son and my "mobile office" and we've managed to get so much overdue house reno work done since finally getting a pickup to do dump/recycle runs with! Don't know what I ever did without it. Now if only I can find a low mileage Previa to replace my beloved but too small Tercel (99) we'll be set!

Cheers, Wade

Reply to
Zekkye

Synthetic oil in engine with that mileage is a waste of $ --- suspect it will all run out too as it seems to clean out gunk and is so thin.

Sythetic fluid in trans is helpful in quieting it down and making it shift smoother. With that many miles ya might just have to wait for a rebuild.

Dealer has the plastic rear latch -- think it was $24 USD last I bought one! Ouch - for 95 cents of plastic. Easy to replace.

Reply to
Wolfgang

do you mean 22re? i thought they stopped the 22r in 86-87 ish.

i switched to synthetic in my saab at 180K miles (290K km) with no issues at all. of course i didn't know there could have been problems or i wouldn't have done it. from what i've read, synthetic oil is great at disolving gunk (to use the tecnichal term). so if you switch to synthetic after years of dino oil, you can break loose large chucks of gunk and they can get lodged in places. so what i've heard, the best way to switch to synthetic is to do it slowly over a number of oil changes until you're at full synthetic. again, i've never done it this way, so i can't comment on it's effectiveness. i just got lucky when i did the sudden switch.

Reply to
Mike Deskevich

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Mike Deskevich) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Nope, 22R... she's carbed, not fuel injected. Thanx for the hints on synthetics though. I've switched other high mileage vehicles to synthetic with no problems in the past, but they weren't as high as this. Then again, 190,000km on a Pontiac Bonneville may as well be 400,000km on a Toyota pickup.

Cheers, Wade

Reply to
Zekkye

My '88 (California smog) is a 22r. I only have 170-some thousand miles on it and it runs great. Old time descriptions come to mind: It runs like a Swiss watch; like a sewing machine, etc... :>))

When I get the money, I want to buy an '85 4Runner (for the solid front axle) with a 22r or "re", which ever is available. A V6 would be nice, but the 22 would do just fine...

Tom - Vista, CA

Reply to
TOM