Land Cruiser GPS Problem

Has anyone ever heard about a dash mounted GPS system in a Toyota Land Cruiser (LC) going bad? The LC is a 2002 model and the GPS just went dead a few weeks ago. Toyota tells me it can't be repaired; that it's a closed unit and it will cost 5,400$ to replace. It is only 4 years old. Of course, the warranty expired at 3 years. There should be some recourse! Any help is appreciated.

Reply to
Toyota Owner

Electronics sometime fail, occasionally right after the bleedin' warranty expires. Sucks when it happens, but there are worse things in life.

Sophomore philosophy aside, $5400 is a complete joke -- you could replace the unit with a nice Pioneer or Eclipse NAV unit for roughly two grand. Check out Crutchfield's site for a nice overview of what's out there.

Might be worth trying to get 'er repaired at an electronics shop (not the dealer), although I'm not sure who actually makes the NAV units for Toyota.

Reply to
Andy Hill

Reply to
Joseph Wind

Have you checked the fuses for the unit, both in the fuse box and see if the unit has its own fuse behind it too. Joe

Reply to
Joe