Landcruiser fuel economy?

Does anyone know what I can do to improve the fuel economy of my 82 landcruiser? I have rebuilt the carb twice and that gave me about 5 to 6 miles per gallon. This is a used vehicle for me so I don't really know what I should get for economy. Any ideas or hints greatfully appreciated.

Reply to
Leo (Bing) Whiteway

"Leo (Bing) Whiteway" schrieb:

If it really pays back you should think of fitting an EFI or swapping the ingine.

Axel

Reply to
Axel Hammer

Thanks for the note. Are these machines really that hard on fuel? I do a lot of fishing and hunting in BC so I guess I put on lots of miles. My old 79 Bronco gets about 18 MPG and I was hoping this Toyota would be better..

Reply to
Leo (Bing) Whiteway

"Leo (Bing) Whiteway" schrieb:

Leo, just think of the technique used. You are talking of a low compression (7,8 AFAIR) combustion engine built to last, which has an impact on fuel economy and everything. This is ancient compared to nowadays and even some engines from that time.

If you really are on swapping you may consider a diesel like the 3B engine or the 2H

6cyl. Both very good, halfway economiccal ;) and also unbreakable. I know both of them.

Regards,

Axel

Reply to
Axel Hammer

compression (7,8 AFAIR)

everything. This

Reply to
charles bridges

Ugh. Diesel Landcruisers are reported to get as high as mid/hi twenties MPG. I typically hear gas Landcruiser owners reporting ~ 15 MPG.

I would not own a gas engined model if I had any access at all to a diesel model. Oil prices are only now starting to skyrocket and it's only going to get worse from here:

The real question is why Toyota continues to sell these massively inefficient gas engines in the US when they sell efficient diesels all over the world.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Johnson

That engine is based on a old 60?s GM 235 six. Toyota bought the rights to it in the mid sixties after GM came out with the new

230/250/and 292 engines based on a new design. The old 235 is a very sturdy engine that dates to the early 50?s but it is low compression and not know for fuel economy in those model years early in the emissions wars. EFI will not help it much either as the engine needs some "work" to improve its effecency though it should do a little better than what you are getting now. If you want to take the time, if you remove the head and shave about .080 to .100 inches off of it and recurve the distibutor for more advance and sooner too you should be able to add several MPG to what you are getting now. A little better cam would help too but that is more involved than reworking the head. You might track down a older style carb and distributor at a bone yard for a early 70?s land cruiser too that was not very tied up with emissions.
Reply to
SnoMan