Landcruiser question

Hi I have a 1986 Landcruiser, which has got me from the UK down to the central sahara and back without missing a beat, but on long runs has a tendancy to somehow draw gear oil from the transfer box into the gearbox. This results in the gearbox being overfilled, the first indication of which is the clutch starting to judder. (i assume an overfilled gearbox starts dumping oil into the clutch casing somehow).

There is a need to drain the gearbox every 5000 miles or so, plus of course top up the transfer box with a couple of litres.

Any ideas on how to stop this problem????

Cheers... Chris

Reply to
4x4forfun

Check for a plugged vent on the transfer case and/or a worn out seal between the trans and transfer case.

Reply to
Mike

Thanks Mike

I have checked the workshop manual, and there does not seem to be a breather installled on this thing... Perhaps I should get a drill out and make one!! May stop sucking the oil out the transfer box..?

Ok, maybe I'll just leave it and check the levels every 2500 miles, until things really start going wrong.

Chris

Reply to
4x4forfun

Mike is right. It's an easy afternoon fix. There *is* a breather there and its likely plugged. When you have the case off you should plumb a vent hose up under the bonnet.

Cheers, Bruce

Reply to
bruce