Leak in transfer case 4runner

I have a small leak in the transfer case, what does this normally cost to repair?

It is a 1991 4Runner.

Thanks.

Reply to
fourfour2

That all depends on exactly where the leak is.

If it's from an output shaft seal, they can be pulled and replaced in an hour or two by an experienced mechanic, they might have to use air tools to get the U-joint bolts loose and off. If it is leaking from a gasketed side or top cover plate that can be unbolted and removed with the transfer case still in the car, again it's an hour or two.

I can't give you an exact price because I don't know what the seals or gaskets you need will cost, or if you are in a high-labor-rate area like New York City, but figure a few hundred.

But if it's the input shaft seal, or a gasket between sections of the main body, that can get pricy. If they have to take the transfer case all the way out of the car to fix it, that's at least 3 to 4 hours. Or all weekend at DIY speeds.

That's the time to decide whether it's leaking bad enough to justify the repair bill. If it's only a drop or two a day, I wouldn't worry - just don't park on someone's brand new driveway if it drips, and remember to crawl under there and top off the oil as needed.

But if it's pouring out gear lube to the point where the case is half empty in a week, then it really does need to be fixed.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Thanks very much, Bruce. It is very helpful information.

I think I will top it off for now and if/when it gets worse I'll take it in.

Eirik

Reply to
fourfour2